need my deceased husband's donation record for income tax

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
johnshaw

Re: need my deceased husband's donation record for income tax

Postby johnshaw » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:28 pm

williamsd12 wrote:My husband, [name removed], passed away on Dec. 14. He had made his last contribution for tithing and other offerings that month. I didn't know his password and his Family Search password doesn't work. Our ward clerk was unable to give me a copy "since he had passed away." How can I obtain it?

[Moderator edit: personal information removed.]

I'm sorry that your Bishopric and clerks apparently don't have the below information. What you did contacting the clerk was correct, please refer him to this page (official help files for clerks) to get the data you need.

Here's an official document you can show them:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/hel ... s?lang=eng

In that document it states:

Why doesn’t my spouse’s name appear on my donation slips?

Donations are associated with one membership record number. They are recorded only in the account of the member who made the online donation. They do not appear in a spouse’s account. However, you can choose to include your spouse’s name on donation slips and donor reports. Go to Settings, and under Preferences, click the Display spouse name check box. Although your spouse’s name may appear on the donation slips and statements, donations are recorded to individual membership records. In case of your spouse’s death, contact your ward clerk or finance clerk and have him print your spouse’s donor statement for you. In such cases, you will appear as the donor’s spouse. Your ward clerk or finance clerk can also provide you with your spouse’s Official Tax Statement in January.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

brucederrick

Postby brucederrick » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:14 am

Over the past year our Ward Clerk has been delaying updating member records to reflect their death ... waiting until next tax season is complete. I have searched & cannot find a checklist of steps for handling records of a newly deceased member (searched Handbooks 1&2, LCR Help Center, LCR FAQ and church forums) looking for a “best practices” for making donations most practically available to the surviving spouse &/or family.

Instructions are clear that deaths should be recorded “promptly”. Are there practical steps recommended like enabling “Allow my spouse to view my donations” before recording death? Does enabling this setting provide immediate visability to year-to-date donations or only donations from time of change forward? Is this whole issue being over-thought & clerk should simply record the death immediately & clerk generate a year to date report when requested from family? (Our clerk has the strong perception that generating such report for a member whose record has been updated to “deceased” is problematic)

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:47 am

brucederrick wrote:Are there practical steps recommended like enabling “Allow my spouse to view my donations” before recording death?

How could that be done short of "hacking" the account? Seems like that should be a no-no.

I'd make sure the membership record is accurate and that it includes the spouse and they're properly linked to each other.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

davesudweeks

Postby davesudweeks » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:56 am

When I served as clerk, I would print the families Individual Ordinance Summaries before recording the death. Then I would provide that to the surviving spouse/parents. They always appreciated having a copy since it was not available after the death was recorded. As the clerk can easily retrieve the tax-valid report for the spouse, I see no need to delay recording the death once the records are checked for accuracy as wisely suggested by russellhltn.

Return to “Church Account”