Disappointed that IOS 12 is needed

Any discussions around the Gospel Living App on various mobile devices.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Disappointed that IOS 12 is needed

Post by russellhltn »

russellhltn wrote:The two low-end phones ($150) I looked at are both running Android 9.
I was looking at T-Mobile when I did that. Turns out Verizon is even cheaper. So, I'd check your carrier's web page to see what's available. They might have some refurbished deals as well. (iPhone 6a at $155)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

And if you are looking at getting a new line for the phone, many mid-range to low end phones are available with a monthly rebate that covers the phone cost. In fact, my wife recently upgraded her old flip-phone (yes, she was the old school hold-out in the family, LOL) to a brand-new Samsung A7 (Android 9 OS) for free without getting a new line. It is not a barn-burner by any stretch of the imagination but works well and does everything she needs and wants to do. The sales come and go so keep an eye out and you can find a reasonable Deal if you don't insist on the latest and greatest $1000 phone.

In our case, we went in to our Verizon store and just asked what Deals were available to upgrade her phone. I was fully expecting to have to pay a little so was very pleased when we walked out with only having to pay for the protective case and screen protector (I am a fan of those).
grahamf72

Post by grahamf72 »

Kind of missing the point. The parents get the phones free with a phone plan. I have never bought a phone, it is always part of the phone plan (which I have to have anyway). Upgrade when the contract runs out (typically after 2-3 years), and give the old phone to the kids to use on wifi (very few are actually connected to a mobile phone plan).

These phones the kids have cost the parents nothing. Makes no difference whether it’s iOS or Android, (it seems iOS actually has a longer support path than most android devices anyway). I look at the families in my ward, and knowing the jobs they have, there is only a handful that would be in a position to buy their kid’s even a second-hand newish phone to run the app. Especially when you multiply by 3-5 kids. And guess what - that handful of families are the ones whose kids do have newer devices to run the app.

Maybe in your isolated wealthy part of the world it’s normal for kids to have brand new phones, and “just go and buy one” is a normal thing to do, but not everywhere.

An app targeted to kids, that only works with the newest phones, is a design failure. Maybe ok for wealthy areas, but a failure in areas with lower demographics. It can even foster an “us and them” attitude which is very much a negative. Sure it isn’t a requirement to have the app, but those who don’t are behind the 8-ball.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The decision makers don't visit here. What we've been offering is options that are under your control.

Or, you can choose to wait. Eventually, it will be solved - perhaps due to the passage of time and iOS 11 fading in the rear-view mirror.

Each time in the past when I've had a chance to talk to a product manager, they've had a good answer as to why they did something a certain way. It may be a technical issue or a resource issue. I highly doubt if it was arbitrary.

If you want to make your voice heard, I'd suggest either using the feedback link or asking your stake president to take the matter up with his presiding authority.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drewsky5

Post by drewsky5 »

grahamf72 wrote:Kind of missing the point. The parents get the phones free with a phone plan. I have never bought a phone, it is always part of the phone plan (which I have to have anyway). Upgrade when the contract runs out (typically after 2-3 years), and give the old phone to the kids to use on wifi (very few are actually connected to a mobile phone plan).

These phones the kids have cost the parents nothing. Makes no difference whether it’s iOS or Android, (it seems iOS actually has a longer support path than most android devices anyway). I look at the families in my ward, and knowing the jobs they have, there is only a handful that would be in a position to buy their kid’s even a second-hand newish phone to run the app. Especially when you multiply by 3-5 kids. And guess what - that handful of families are the ones whose kids do have newer devices to run the app.

Maybe in your isolated wealthy part of the world it’s normal for kids to have brand new phones, and “just go and buy one” is a normal thing to do, but not everywhere.

An app targeted to kids, that only works with the newest phones, is a design failure. Maybe ok for wealthy areas, but a failure in areas with lower demographics. It can even foster an “us and them” attitude which is very much a negative. Sure it isn’t a requirement to have the app, but those who don’t are behind the 8-ball.
You don't need the "newest" phones to use the app. You just need a device that was introduced within the last six years. Apple does a pretty great job of older devices supporting newer operating systems, but it's not reasonable to expect older hardware to always support the newest operating systems. Apple actually dropped support for 32 bit apps back in 2017 and since then all apps are required to be 64 bit. So that means devices older than the 5s can't run any newly released app, anyway. For reference, here are the devices that can run iOS 12 or newer:

iPhone 11 Pro
iPhone 11 Pro Max
iPhone 11
iPhone XS
iPhone XS Max
iPhone XR
iPhone X
iPhone 8
iPhone 8 Plus
iPhone 7
iPhone 7 Plus
iPhone 6s
iPhone 6s Plus
iPhone 6
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone SE
iPhone 5s

You can find an iPhone 5s for next to nothing these days considering it was introduced way back in 2013.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

drewsky5 wrote:You can find an iPhone 5s for next to nothing these days considering it was introduced way back in 2013.
Though if you get a new device, I wouldn't recommend going for an iPhone 5s as it's likely the next device to no longer be supported (whenever that ends up happening).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
drewsky5

Post by drewsky5 »

sbradshaw wrote:
drewsky5 wrote:You can find an iPhone 5s for next to nothing these days considering it was introduced way back in 2013.
Though if you get a new device, I wouldn't recommend going for an iPhone 5s as it's likely the next device to no longer be supported (whenever that ends up happening).
Oh, I definitely agree with this. Anything older than an iPhone 7 is likely due to be dropped from iOS 14 support.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Here is a pertinent quotation from an article that was published yesterday:
"You don't want the risk associated with 32-bit iOS," said Turner, adding that you should use only iPhones that can run iOS 13.
https://www.tomsguide.com/news/mobile-a ... hack-rsa20
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Gospel Living App”