Broadcasting Sunday School

Conversations around originating a webcast for conference, including cameras and mixers.
cyberrick

Re: Broadcasting Sunday School

Postby cyberrick » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:39 pm

Well, we have tested using YouTube live and using the church Webcast system. The result was the YouTube live have the absolute best user experience. The picture was the very best and the sound was great. Using the church system the video had to buffer several times and the sound was a bit choppy. We also just recently used YouTube live for a funeral service during the covid-19 issues. Only the immediate family was allowed in the chapel and was all done under the permission of our Stake President. We simply used a HD Webcam mounted to a tripod and a Macbook Air Laptop, The sound was loud enough but I'm thinking that next time I'm going to try plugging in a Comtech unit for the mike input which should maybe help it be more clear and crisp.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Postby Mikerowaved » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:41 pm

mitchrichie wrote:I was told that the firewire allows YouTube, but enforces "Safe Search" which can be a problem for live streaming because the system does not know the content of the live stream and will sometimes block it. Not really sure if this is true, but it has made me hesitate trying to do a youtube stream through the firewall.

Yep, heard the same rumors, but never seen or heard of it happening for church-related webcasts.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

philipjameskitchen

Postby philipjameskitchen » Sat May 16, 2020 1:51 am

Sunday School is being taught online in some wards using the Zoom or Webex facility. The coordinator/teacher works from his/her own home, and saints can see each other and participate online if they wish to do so or remain mute. This is not a 'public meeting' perse and no meetings have been held in chapels. However, it may be that church leaders have received instructions not to do this, or indeed to hold any online meetings save ward and stake council, bishopric etc.

In a time when our meetinghouses are closed, it seems wise to engage the Saints and uplift them where possible.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Sat May 16, 2020 9:58 am

philipjameskitchen wrote:However, it may be that church leaders have received instructions not to do this, or indeed to hold any online meetings save ward and stake council, bishopric etc.

It is my understanding that the church encourages members to get together on their own, safely distancing, of course, i.e., electronically, to visit and have gospel discussions and other activities. It is also my understanding that wards are not to try to replicate sacrament meetings, Sunday School, priesthood, Relief Society, and other church meetings.

I happen to know that the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve have given specific instruction on this matter to General Authorities and area seventies, including area presidencies, who were instructed to share that information with stake presidents. There is a lot of instruction from Church headquarters flowing through priesthood channels.

And there has long been discussion from Church leaders about getting the water to the end of the row.

Return to “Webcasting”