Formatting for "send a message"

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
kristik2

Re: Formatting for "send a message"

Post by kristik2 »

dolenslager wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:43 pm I've successfully sent formatted emails by using another email editor and pasting the formatted text directly into our editor. Here's the editor I used: https://products.aspose.app/email/editor
I tried this and it did not work for me, I'm on chrome using a microscoft desktop.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

kristik2 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:38 pm
dolenslager wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:43 pm I've successfully sent formatted emails by using another email editor and pasting the formatted text directly into our editor. Here's the editor I used: https://products.aspose.app/email/editor
I tried this and it did not work for me, I'm on chrome using a microscoft desktop.
The send a message tool clearly states that pasted text may lose it's formatting. If it retains it, count yourself lucky...
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

davesudweeks wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:37 pm
kristik2 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:38 pm
The send a message tool clearly states that pasted text may lose it's formatting. If it retains it, count yourself lucky...
In some browsers one can right click and paste without formatting. I have been able to successfully do that with the Church email system.
revincent

Post by revincent »

lajackson wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:09 pm Is there any way to enter a single line space? I need this in particular when I enter my name and calling at the end of the message. I want them on two single-spaced lines, not Name, double space, Calling du Jour.
[font]Try holding down the <SHIFT> key while pressing the <ENTER> key. That usually works in other simple text editors such as social media and other net based systems. [/font]
Summervw

Post by Summervw »

I have tried starting from scratch using the formatting tools in the messaging, it does NOT apply anything to the message when it sends. I've also tried copying and pasting. Nothing works. Who is supposed to be fixing this? It's absolutely broken and unusable. Communication is important, and we can't do it properly.
Summervw

Post by Summervw »

This helped me today-- No idea how! I literally just copied and pasted what I'd written in the church message box into this editor and then copied and pasted it back into the church's. Before, I'd send it to myself and the formatting was different every time.. once I copied and pasted in this editor it kept the formatting. SO weird... makes no sense to me how it worked. Thank you! ;D
brent.taft

Post by brent.taft »

This worked better for me than anything else has before. It still didn't leave paragraph breaks.
I tried again but this time also used the SHIFT+ENTER trick shared here to add an additional line break between each item. It actually worked!
revincent wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:46 pm [font]Try holding down the <SHIFT> key while pressing the <ENTER> key. That usually works in other simple text editors such as social media and other net based systems. [/font]
It is still more work than what I think it should be, but at least I wont look so "uneducated" when I send out my messages.

Thanks!
dkm747

Post by dkm747 »

What would it take for the church to invest in a better messaging system? All I want is a system that sends an email out exactly as it appears in the preview screen.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

dkm747 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:56 am What would it take for the church to invest in a better messaging system? All I want is a system that sends an email out exactly as it appears in the preview screen.
Short answer is it would take the sponsoring organization to push the change to the developers. The 2 official ways to get these kinds of requests in front of the sponsoring organizations are to:
1. Provide feedback from the Send a Message page.
2. Convince your Stake President that it is enough of an issue to bring up in the Area Coordinating Council (that he is a member of).

Nothing we say here on this user-to-user mutual help forum will likely have much effect unless someone else has found a work around they can share. Keep in mind that the developers have callings like the rest of us so I'm sure they are well aware of the current limitations of the system (since they have to live with it just as we do).

Apparently, all feedback is read and considered though we usually don't receive a personalized reply. We are not privy to the decision process on how the church determines which feedback is important enough to expend limited resources on it. It is possible that what you want is already on the horizon, but the church typically does not reveal their plans with respect to technological development of the church tools.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I think it may also be useful to remember that the church has a worldwide presence and may have to manage tools in a way that work globally. What works in a country with good internet access and tons of bandwidth may completely break down in countries that have poor internet access and tiny amounts of bandwidth. I have no special knowledge of this, but it makes logical sense to me to explain a bare-bones system for basic communication without lots of bling. The church used to have a newsletter tool but that was retired some years ago (due to lack of use as I understand).

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”