Address show in wrong location on map.

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
mevans

Re: Address show in wrong location on map.

Post by mevans »

The address dots are really messed up right now. They are staying at the person's previous location when their records move. If I zoom out on the church maps to a world view and look at our stake (which is located in southern California), I see orange dots all over California, as well as in Arizona, Utah, Hawaii, and Peru. If I click on the dot and look at the member, their current address is in our stake boundaries.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd suggest sending that as feedback.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nateblaylock

Post by nateblaylock »

Just want to add that this still appears to be a problem. I'm seeing this same behavior (addresses on the map all over the place) despite the addresses being in the ward boundaries.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Just want to add that this still appears to be a problem.
Yeah, we have a few members who have arrived from foreign countries, and although their address is correct and the pin visually appears to be correct, when I go and navigate to their address, it takes a little extra while because the system is trying to figure out the route for me to drive down to where they previously lived in Venezuela, etc. :roll:

I don't know that I've seen anyone state that the Church is actively working on this, so please go ahead and submit this as official Feedback. The more of us that do this, the better the chance it will bubble up in priority on the Church's side of things.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

I believe they actually fixed the move process code that was broken about 3 weeks ago, so moves done after that point should be working. There is still some ongoing work to see if they can reset the pins for anyone who moved since the problem was created (I think May is the date of the current cause, there may have been other problems before that) and the pin is still not in the unit boundaries. The trick is to try and not mess up those that have already been fixed by the clerk.

If you're seeing new move-ins where the pin doesn't get moved that would be worth reporting.
benjaminwpratt

Recent move-ins' location pins remain at old lat/long

Post by benjaminwpratt »

Product: Ward Directory and Map

The pins for many members who have moved into our unit this year remain at old addresses on the map. Some of them have the location verified and some do not. The addresses are correct. I fixed 4 or 5 of them yesterday but then later I started thinking about it and decided to bring it up here.

Currently there are only about 20 pins (households) with this situation. It's very possible that it happened to more of them but that our ward clerk or the members themselves have moved the pins since moving in. Most of the records remaining in this situation are of members who are not attending meetings.

The oldest record with this issue that I've identified arrived in our ward 29 Jan 2023.

Has anyone else noticed this happening?
garystroble

Re: Recent move-ins' location pins remain at old lat/long

Post by garystroble »

benjaminwpratt wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:52 pm Product: Ward Directory and Map

The pins for many members who have moved into our unit this year remain at old addresses on the map. Some of them have the location verified and some do not. The addresses are correct. I fixed 4 or 5 of them yesterday but then later I started thinking about it and decided to bring it up here.

Currently there are only about 20 pins (households) with this situation. It's very possible that it happened to more of them but that our ward clerk or the members themselves have moved the pins since moving in. Most of the records remaining in this situation are of members who are not attending meetings.

The oldest record with this issue that I've identified arrived in our ward 29 Jan 2023.

Has anyone else noticed this happening?
Yes, this has been an on again, off again problem for a few years at least. You have to check pins each and every time for accuracy and fix as necessary. I have also discovered it is a problem on some memberships when moving records out of our ward, the pins sometimes remain in our ward but showing on the other ward's map, unless the new ward redoes them. Solution is to re-pin them to the new address before moving the memberships.
BrianEdwards

Re: Recent move-ins' location pins remain at old lat/long

Post by BrianEdwards »

You might consider posting your question in the following thread, which has discussion about this topic. A church employee with some inside info gave the last response in that thread last month, and you could post your question as a follow-up there:
Address show in wrong location on map
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

moderator note: The thread titled "Recent move-ins' location pins remain at old lat/long" merged with this thread, " Address show in wrong location on map", to continue the discussion in one thread rather than having two threads.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

So this issue persists for us, no change from late last year. I'm looking for guidance from anyone who maybe has resolved this for their unit. My two thoughts are:
1) Moving the pin
2) Changing the address
As mentioned, the addresses are listed correctly, but internally the system still thinks the address is in Idaho, or Guatemala, or wherever (so navigation uses the wrong old address, looking at the pins in the map shows the wrong old address, etc), I'm not sure if moving the pin would actually fix the underlying issues, or if changing the address would sync the system, or if neither of them will actually bump things into place.

I don't want us spending time doing a fix that doesn't actually resolve the issue, so if anyone has a suggestion (perhaps something different than what I listed), we'll start with that.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”