How do I join a circle? The app didn't add me to the "Adults" circle in our ward?

Any discussions around the Gospel Living App on various mobile devices.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: How do I join a circle? The app didn't add me to the "Adults" circle in our ward?

Post by jdlessley »

russellhltn wrote:And maybe I can't see an "OTHER" until there's something to show. At this point, I've joined everything I can join.
How did you join the two circles you are showing as having joined? I ask because I am joined automatically to certain circles because I am a default administrator for those circles and I am also an eligible member. All the other circles I can see in OTHER CIRCLES > Unit Circles I cannot joint because I am not an eligible member but an administrator. I don't know what an administrator does since I cannot add anyone or moderate the circle (yet?).
russellhltn wrote:I suppose I can leave all circles, but I'm not sure as I could get back in based on the other messages I've seen here.
Me too. I would like to leave some I've been automatically added as a joined member. I suppose more app development will add more as to what an administrator can do and can see. Right now I am just sitting tight and not trying to make changes.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How do I join a circle? The app didn't add me to the "Adults" circle in our ward?

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:How did you join the two circles you are showing as having joined?
I don't remember. I remember joining my "Household", but I don't remember the steps.
jdlessley wrote:Unit Circles I cannot joint because I am not an eligible member but an administrator. I don't know what an administrator does since I cannot add anyone or moderate the circle (yet?).
Curious. From what I've read here, I thought admins couldn't leave a circle - their role was to be the adult supervisor of the group. They may not have any cyber tools, but these are all members of their ward where they should have some in-person tools to deal with any problems.

I'd expect that circles would require the presence of certain leaders to insure they don't become a avenue for cyber bullying and other unwanted behavior. For that reason, I expect considerable limits on custom circles should they be made available.

If I take that thought to it's logic conclusion, it possible a circle will not become available until a leader joins it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

You should automatically be added to the new Adults circle. If not, try this.

At the bottom right, select Profile. Scroll down to Leave All Circles and select it and then select Leave All.

Select Circles again near the bottom right. You should see that you have already joined some circles, and that others are listed under Available Circles.

Select each circle you wish to join and click Join Circle. You should then be given the option to join the circle by agreeing to behave (the Code of Conduct).

Interesting note: In doing this (so I could share the instructions), I was able to rejoin the Adults circle, but I have been locked out of the My Household circle and cannot rejoin it. Feedback, here I come.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Ok, I finally got it to work.

I left all groups and then the two groups were under "Available" ("Joined" disappeared). But when I click on a group, I can only "leave", I can't join. But when I go into profile, the "leave" option is gone. I tried leaving again, but no luck. Clearly something is out of sync as far as if I'm in or if I'm out.

I went into device settings, forced stop, cleared data, cleared cache and logged back in. No improvement.

Then, after a about a minute, "Adults" magically appeared and I was able to join that, but I can't re-join my EQ or Household.

After a bit more, I found I could go back in EQ and join.

It appears to me that there's a delay in syncing with the server. Perhaps even delay within "the" server. And there doesn't seem to be a trigger or way to manually force it.

So, at this point, I'm OK, but there's clearly some bugs/delay issues in joining and leaving.

Update: I can't rejoin my Household either. I can live with that as it doesn't do much for me. I can't leave or join. And it claims I'm an admin.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

More weirdness. I just went back in a few minutes ago and found I wasn't in any circles. I tried to rejoin "Adults" but wasn't successful. So I tried to join "EQ" and that didn't work - but then suddenly I was in "Adults". A few seconds later "EQ" followed.

Clearly, the main screen for circles and the screen for individual circles are looking at different flags and it takes time for those flags to sync.

Time will tell if I've joined for good. Maybe one of my prior attempts to exit kicked in.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Clearly something is out of sync as far as if I'm in or if I'm out.
Mu Adults circle moved from Joined Circles back to Available Circles on its own. I clicked on it, accepted the CoC, and nothing happened. So I clicked on it again, accepted the terms, and it moved to Joined Circles. About one second later, the app crashed. But when I go back in, Adults is still in Joined Circles.

I, too, am an administrator of the My Household circle which I am not able to join.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lajackson wrote:I, too, am an administrator of the My Household circle which I am not able to join.
Ooh. It just let me join the My Household circle, of which I am the only member.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Sounds like my experience. The response is much slower than expected. You're first impression is that it didn't work, but after 30-90 seconds, it becomes effective.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

A new update 1.1.6.

kristinjamison

Post by kristinjamison »

Thank you everyone...this morning, it was magically fixed!

Return to “Gospel Living App”