Page 1 of 5

Zoom Account for Bishops and Leaders

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:32 pm
by arpitman
I am the Stake Tech Specialist. One of our bishops asked if the church has a zoom account that he can use to get past the meeting time limit that Zoom has on the free account.

I read a post here about educational accounts not having a limit, but that doesn't apply since he is not an using an education account.

Any recommendations?

Re: Zoom Account for Bishops and Leaders

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:37 pm
by lajackson
Establish the meeting again after 40 minutes?
Pay the $15?

Re: Zoom Account for Bishops and Leaders

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:40 pm
by arpitman
Understood. Thank you. What hoping maybe the church would come up with a church account that leaders could use. I know Zoom resales to large entities for this type of use. I have used them in businesses myself that way as a resale item.

Thank you for the quick answer.

Re: Zoom Account for Bishops and Leaders

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:43 pm
by russellhltn
arpitman wrote:One of our bishops asked if the church has a zoom account that he can use to get past the meeting time limit that Zoom has on the free account.
The church hasn't announced any such thing. But the price tag isn't going to break the budget. Especially since most activities have been canceled.

Re: Zoom Account for Bishops and Leaders

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:33 am
by drepouille
Our stake has told its units they are on their own. That's what budget is for.

Re: Zoom Account for Bishops and Leaders

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:27 am
by lajackson
arpitman wrote:... hoping maybe the church would come up with a church account that leaders could use.
When the church did away with video conferencing, I was disappointed that they did not recommend something to replace it. Perhaps in view of the current situation, they may rethink that position.

I believe that even in normal times, there definitely is a need in this connected world.

Re: Zoom Account for Bishops and Leaders

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:23 am
by drepouille
We used Webex for our bishopric and ward council meetings this morning.
Some prefer video, while others prefer audio only.

Re: Zoom Account for Bishops and Leaders

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:38 pm
by BrianEdwards
I agree that this is what Budgets are for (especially since while the guidelines are in place many organizations won't be using their Budget money for weekly activities). Our Branch last week paid $15/month for a Zoom account. One benefit of this is that the Zoom account is now available Branch-wide for any organization to use for a meeting, class, activity, ministering interview, whatever. And we can choose to re-use a standard meeting ID so all members know that when there's something on Zoom, it's always the same link.

Once things are back to normal, if desired we'll just close the account. Or maybe go to a free account. But if enough leaders/members decide it's worth it, we may include a monthly Zoom account in our Branch budget.

Re: Zoom Account for Bishops and Leaders

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:34 pm
by sbradshaw
BrianEdwards wrote:I agree that this is what Budgets are for (especially since while the guidelines are in place many organizations won't be using their Budget money for weekly activities). Our Branch last week paid $15/month for a Zoom account. One benefit of this is that the Zoom account is now available Branch-wide for any organization to use for a meeting, class, activity, ministering interview, whatever. And we can choose to re-use a standard meeting ID so all members know that when there's something on Zoom, it's always the same link.

Once things are back to normal, if desired we'll just close the account. Or maybe go to a free account. But if enough leaders/members decide it's worth it, we may include a monthly Zoom account in our Branch budget.
Zoom's terms of service prevent sharing an account with multiple individuals, so you would need a single person to set up all of the meetings (or at least any meetings that need to be over 40 minutes). Also, you would need to be careful if all meetings use the same meeting ID, to make sure that not anyone can drop into meetings that might discuss sensitive topics (like a bishopric meeting or ward council meeting).

Re: Zoom Account for Bishops and Leaders

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:45 am
by pablosalfate
I'm appalled that the church is asking to perform several meetings as leaders and to attend others of our organizations and they have have not provide a clear policy regarding to online meetings,

every ward , bishop and leader should have a zoom pro account sponsored by the church, I have been in meetings when we have to wait up to 10 minutes for the new meeting to be set up cause the 40 minutes are gone so fast.
the church should have been on top of the games since the getgo and let't be honest how hard would be for the church getting these accounts , pennies for the thousands accounts


Pablo