Not Receiving Emails

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
donsigman

Re: Not Receiving Emails

Post by donsigman »

So there is no one from Church tech that is going to weigh in on this for 2 years on Gmail addresses?
We purged a bunch of emails a month ago because they came back as undeliverable. But we have a new member that has a Gmail account and it came back as undeliverable.
Now I am wondering if we should not have deleted the addresses.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

donsigman wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:10 am So there is no one from Church tech that is going to weigh in on this for 2 years on Gmail addresses?
Unlikely. The Church does not normally weigh in on issues. And if by "Church tech" you mean this forum, even as moderators our influence is no greater than that of anyone else who submits information through the normal feedback channels.

The developers rarely read this forum. They quietly proceed using the priorities set by the priesthood leaders to whom they report. I agree that it is frustrating. But they do not report to me.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

davesudweeks wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:32 pm
tnash wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:16 pm We're having the same issue in our ward. I don't have an answer, but hoping if enough people bring it up someone will look into it.
Bringing it up on this user-to-user mutual help forum will have little effect. You should provide feedback from the Send A Message web page in order to get it in front of those who direct the programmer's priorities.

As an Elders Quorum President in Oklahoma, I'm not having any problems sending or receiving the messages on my Gmail account. I don't send very many, but I have sent some successfully (and received some successfully) since this latest round of problems began to be reported on the forum.
We have all successfully sent some and received some, the issue is an increasing number of them are not being sent or received successfully by leaders, clerks and members. Trust in the system will be difficult to recover after such a massive, long standing issue. Meanwhile, there is no indication to those who have the ability to send messages via the system that there is a problem. No notice on line, no email, nothing. We have just word of mouth and this tech web page, which is also not widely made known. Many leaders have no idea this email feature is a problem, and that is a direct result of a total lack of official communication about it.
Dannigirl

Post by Dannigirl »

So I have fixed my not receiving the emails but I am not sure for how long! I did notice that right before it occurred that I was no longer receiving my emails I got a huge amount of confirmation emails from the temple. I mean it was like 30 confirmation emails about my appointment the next morning I don't know if that plays a part in any of it but it's almost like whatever was connected to my account went on overload. But what I did was change my email I went from my Yahoo to my Gmail and it started working like it should again. I don't know if it is specific to One account or if I had used that email for too long or what caused it to have an issue with that particular account considering that my Yahoo and my Gmail are exactly the same letter for letter number for number as far as address goes the only difference is one is Gmail and one is ymail. But that's what I did and so far it has continued to work properly again don't know if this helps anybody don't know if this gives any insight but that's what I did
tnash

Post by tnash »

I called Salt Lake two weeks ago regarding this issue. They said it's mainly affecting Yahoo accounts, but it can affect other email providers as well. So switching away from Yahoo probably fixed your issue, but from what I understand it's random. They recently added a text box on the 'Send a Message' page that warns you some emails are not going through, and they're working on it.
ahutchens208

Post by ahutchens208 »

I set up a gmail forward to yahoo and the forward was blocked by yahoo servers with a 554 5.7.9 error "permanent error." This is yahoo's definition of the 554 error:

A 553 or 554 SMTP error indicates an email could not be delivered due to a permanent problem.
Message delivery can be permanently deferred because:
* You're trying to send a message to an invalid email address.
* Your message failed authentication checks against your sending domain's DMARC or DKIM policy.
* The message contains characteristics that Yahoo won't accept for policy reasons.
* Other suspicious behavior which leads Yahoo to issue a permanent rejection for your SMTP connection.
* Your IP is listed by Spamhaus. Please check with https://www.spamhaus.org.
If you consistently receive 5xx errors when sending to Yahoo, we encourage you to review our Sender Best Practices, since 5xx errors can be a symptom of a more widespread, general problem.
You should not retry sending an email that comes back with with a 5xx error. List managers should have a policy for removing email addresses that generate 5xx errors/bounces.

Hope this helps anyone.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

If this was an automatic forward, they are known to break certain checks and balances (especially SPF, hence DMARC) that verify the sender's identity. The fact that you got an error message might simply mean that DMARC, SPF, and/or DKIM are functioning normally. Here's a good read on the subject:

How forwarding can break DMARC
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Glennamp

Post by Glennamp »

Neither my husband's email nor mine is listed as Household.

He receives emails from the Church domain and I do not.

This may be a 'fluke' in the example you shared...but it isn't showing as a solution for us...

:-/
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Glennamp wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:02 pm He receives emails from the Church domain and I do not.
Does your husband use the same email domain? I find yours to be rather unusual. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the church is having an issue sending to that domain.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”