Not able to sign in to member tools

Discussions around the Android version of the Member Tools application
stephsstuph

Not able to sign in to member tools

Post by stephsstuph »

Today when I went to use member tools, I am getting a message "Member Tools requires your device to have a Pin/Pattern/Password. I can't use it at all. I haven't made any changes to my phone, nor do I know how to fix this! I already have a pin created for my account, as well as my phone itself.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Not able to sign in to member tools

Post by jdlessley »

Try uninstalling it first. Then reboot your phone. Then reinstall it.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mzweig

Post by mzweig »

Same problem here, phone just updated with new version. I have a pin on the app, I do not intend to put a pin on the phone. Is there a fix for this?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I have the latest Member Tools for Android version 3.6.1 (101039.8) April 15, 2020, but I don't have any issues. Since I had been using the Pin feature I was not aware it is now a requirement after logging into the app. I found this out after signing out and then back into it.

if you have not set up a pin you will be prompted to create one and use it. If you cannot log onto the app then uninstall it and reinstall it. During the set up you will be prompted to sign in using your Church Account and then create a pin. The pin feature is not optional with this version.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:The pin feature is not optional with this version.
This PIN has always been required for those holding certain positions that give them privileged access. Has it been expanded to the "rank and file"? Or, perhaps some privileged information has became available for more callings?

I'm not able to find a current copy of the release notes.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bltimothy

Post by bltimothy »

On my Samsung phone when I try to log Into tools I get the message “Member tools requires your device to have a Pin/Pattern/Password.” Why is this? It makes tool useless on my phone! I do not want to enter a pin etc. to use my phone.
rpinkerton

Post by rpinkerton »

Having the same problem. My s10e Samsung automatically updated and then Membership Tools no longer works. Receive message that a Pin/Pattern/Password is required, but does not allow for typing old pin or provide a way to put in a new pin.
Have tried all of the suggestions on this forum and none have resolved the issue.
Would appreciate some help.
THANKS
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rpinkerton wrote:Having the same problem. My s10e Samsung automatically updated and then Membership Tools no longer works. Receive message that a Pin/Pattern/Password is required, but does not allow for typing old pin or provide a way to put in a new pin.
Have tried all of the suggestions on this forum and none have resolved the issue.
From what others are saying, you need to establish a pin/unlock function for the phone itself Then, it appears, Member Tools will use that same pin for the app. If true, that would explain why there's no way to enter a PIN in the Member Tools app - it's done at the OS level.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote:
rpinkerton wrote:Having the same problem. My s10e Samsung automatically updated and then Membership Tools no longer works. Receive message that a Pin/Pattern/Password is required, but does not allow for typing old pin or provide a way to put in a new pin.
From what others are saying, you need to establish a pin/unlock function for the phone itself Then, it appears, Member Tools will use that same pin for the app. If true, that would explain why there's no way to enter a PIN in the Member Tools app - it's done at the OS level.
I just tested this. My wife does not have a pin to unlock her phone (Android 9). She has the latest Member Tools. She can open it just fine after she enters her Member Tools pin when opening the app.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:She has the latest Member Tools.
I'm seeing conflicting information about the last release date.

The complaints only started a few days ago which matches what shows in Google Play Store of a April 15, 2020 date. But my phone's Play Store says it was last updated on July 2019. Yet, the version I have matches the version shown on the web.

I'm wondering if a new beta dropped and that's the source of the issue.

Return to “Android Member Tools App”