Member tools requires my device to have a pin or other security?

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
AndrewRodgers

Member tools requires my device to have a pin or other security?

Post by AndrewRodgers »

This is retarded...my device is my WORK device and I have to be able to answer quick and not have to fight with a stupid pin....change it back
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Member tools requires my device to have a pin or other security?

Post by jdlessley »

Nobody here in the forum can do anything. The forum is primarily user-to-user support. You will need to use the in-app feedback to get your feedback to those who can do anything.

What message did you get and on what operating system? I have an Android smart phone and I get no messages on Member Tools stating I need to have security measures set up on my phone. The app does require you to either sign in each time you open it or to set up a pin as an alternate logon measure. But that is only for the app and not the phone.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd also make certain this isn't a new requirement pushed down by your workplace in order to access your workplace email. Your IT department may have just added a requirement to have your device to have a PIN or something like it to access it. With the shutdown in place, hackers have stepped up their game. IT departments are likely doing the same.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Given the posts in another thread, this appears to be due to a application update. A new version is showing on the Play Store in my browser, but not on my phone. Strange.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
josephblakley

Post by josephblakley »

Same problem here. It's a little tough to use the "in app feedback" to report the issue or give feedback when lack of access to the app is the problem in the first place. No reason to add this restriction to the app, which is pin protected anyway. What a pain for those who don't want to fiddle with passwords or whatever every time they pick up their phones.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The email address to send feedback listed in my phone for Member Tools > Help > Contact Us is LDSToolsSupport@ldschurch.org. Try that unless someone else can come up with a more current address. Include your phone information; make, model, operating system version, and the current Member Tools app version 3.6.1 (101039.8) in your message.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
cdw3423lds

Post by cdw3423lds »

This is an unacceptable change. I will no longer be using the app.

Chris W
1davidL80

Post by 1davidL80 »

I am confused. I have used Tools since the inception. A pin was always required. Today when I started to use the app my user name and password appeared. I signed in. Didn't take my password. Changed my password. Accepted my password. Asked for my "current" pin. Thought it was my Tools pin. Tried numerous times. Finally felt to use my phone lock pin. It was accepted. No idea this was the pin needed. No clarity when the pin request was required. There appears nowhere to establish a pin specific to Tools. Maybe this is the new normal? It would be nice if there was clarity about this. My frustration level was high because I need this for my calling.
David B
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I use my fingerprint reader to enter my Member Tools pin. I also use my fingerprint reader to unlock my phone but do have a pin as a security precaution should I lose my device (or the fingerprint reader doesn't work). I have never had any problem getting into Member Tools (even just now). My wife does NOT have a pin to unlock her phone and just went into Member Tools without any problem just now. We are both on Android 9 devices with the latest Member Tools version installed - I wonder if this is an iOS thing because I'm not seeing it on Android. Then again, I have no special knowledge of the app - I'm just a regular member like almost everyone else on this forum.
klricks

Post by klricks »

davesudweeks wrote:I use my fingerprint reader to enter my Member Tools pin. I also use my fingerprint reader to unlock my phone but do have a pin as a security precaution should I lose my device (or the fingerprint reader doesn't work). I have never had any problem getting into Member Tools (even just now). My wife does NOT have a pin to unlock her phone and just went into Member Tools without any problem just now. We are both on Android 9 devices with the latest Member Tools version installed - I wonder if this is an iOS thing because I'm not seeing it on Android. Then again, I have no special knowledge of the app - I'm just a regular member like almost everyone else on this forum.
No it is an Android thing as well.
My Android 10 device recently updated to Member Tools 4.0.0 which has the new auto sync feature.
I use fingerprint so there is not really much noticeable difference to me.

My old Android 5 device still has MT 3.6.1 and does not seem to want to update.
This version asks for a pin as well.
Assistant Ward Clerk

Return to “Member Tools”