Member Tools - PIN reset

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
Pasketd

Member Tools - PIN reset

Post by Pasketd »

Latest "Tools" update did NOT link to the current PIN. Upon sign-in got the message enter current PIN. Three or four tries then countdown clock with try again in 29 sec.
This is an android device. Removal and reinstall does not help. Still get the same response. Anyone?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Member Tools - PIN reset

Post by russellhltn »

Others have reported that the app adopts the device's PIN, rather then the one created for it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Pasketd

Post by Pasketd »

Thank you - this is the third action received from Service Now.
These were their options:

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app. Make sure you wait a couple hours to make sure the corrupted version of the app isn't re-downloaded.
Try adding a pass-code (PIN's are more likely to work) to you're device's lock-screen. Member Tools requires a pass-code on either you're device or on Member's Tools.
Try using you're device's lock-screen PIN number in Member's Tools and see if that works.

I did an uninstall and reinstall - without success; however, I'm now doing this with the hours of delay as I previously reloaded immediately after doing a device restart. This did not work.
I already have a device pass-code and Tools pin. The Tools pin is what is keeping me locked out.
At this point I'm getting a Member Tools unavailable try again later message. We'll see where this goes next.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

russellhltn wrote:Others have reported that the app adopts the device's PIN, rather then the one created for it.
That's what happened in my case. The app rejected its old PIN, but accepted my device's PIN.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Pasketd wrote:At this point I'm getting a Member Tools unavailable try again later message. We'll see where this goes next.
Are you not able to get into Member Tools, or not able to get it to sync? Those are two different problems.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
klricks

Post by klricks »

russellhltn wrote:
Pasketd wrote:At this point I'm getting a Member Tools unavailable try again later message. We'll see where this goes next.
Are you not able to get into Member Tools, or not able to get it to sync? Those are two different problems.
If there is no data present then MT won't start until there is a successful sync.

This happened to me yesterday on my old tablet. The SW was just updated to version 4.0.2 so no data was present. After asking for the Church web site login information the app then attempts to auto sync. Since sync was not working at that time the app abruptly terminates after the unsuccessful sync. (As it probably should do when no data is present).
Several hours later sync began to work so the app now starts normally.

Note that the newest version of the MT app 4.0.2 no longer requires the phone/device unlock PIN as it did with the short lived version 4.0.1
Depending on your calling it will ask for the in app PIN as it did before in version 3.6.1.
You can optionally use fingerprint or device PIN if they are enabled on your device.
Assistant Ward Clerk
Pasketd

Post by Pasketd »

The latest release enabled an auto-sync. I could not get into Member Tools because it needed a pin to complete the sign-in. All of the comments helped. I had to use my device open code to complete the sign-in. When I looked at the settings in Tools there was no pin set for the app. I have now reset the Tools app pin. And, everything seems to be operating correctly.
What was 'sync' is now 'Update'
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

drepouille wrote:
russellhltn wrote:Others have reported that the app adopts the device's PIN, rather then the one created for it.
That's what happened in my case. The app rejected its old PIN, but accepted my device's PIN.
I got the PIN message yesterday. (I normally log in with a fingerprint.) The prompt I get says "Enter your device PIN to continue".
Pasketd

Post by Pasketd »

No - once I was able to get Tools to let me in using the device pin I was able to set a pin for tools and have been using that for using the app since that time.
My problem was getting the new release to let me in the first time. It wanted a pin entered to do that which turned out to be - use the device pin. Once the app allowed me in I was able to see that it did not have a pin set. If, you have been able to reset (or set) the app pin then, at least for me - it was back to operation as usual.
Hope you are able to work things out with your own situation.
warrend21648

Re: Member Tools - PIN / PASSWORD reset

Post by warrend21648 »

After updating my Tools app, it asked for my password. I tried my Church site login password -- didn't work. I tried my Tools pin as a password -- didn't work. I tried uninstalling Tools and then reinstalling Tools -- that didn't work. It seems the new download lost the previous pin # and acted as though it had no pin/password and instead substituted the password for my phone. Not cool. I logged in and set up a pin for tools. Now it gives me an option to log in with any of the ways I login to my phone. Still not cool. I want the passwords separate and different. If I loose my phone and someone cracks the security on it I don't want them to have access to Church information. DO YOU?

Return to “Member Tools”