Managed switches

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Managed switches

Post by russellhltn »

Looks like more changes are afoot. According to the email that hit my inbox, the church is assessing if individual STS are capable of setting up managed switches or if FM is going to have to do this task.

All switches that connect to a AP will have to be changed out.

I'm not sure what's behind it, but my guess is that the WiFi is going to be separated from the wired network.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Managed switches

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:All switches that connect to a AP will have to be changed out.
Not really. Add the new managed switch. Plug all of the wireless access points into the new managed switch. Leave everything else plugged into the old switch.

You still need the firewall, but as I read the instructions the new managed switch is going to take care of the zone assignments that the firewall used to do.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Ok, let me rephrase: all APs will have to connect to a managed switch. Other devices can connect though a unmanaged switch if needed.

The switches will come in two sizes: 8 port and 24 port. (This is not counting the "feed" going back to the firewall.) I'm not sure how they'll determine what size to send out.

If whatever you received covers all the needs, then there's no reason to keep the old switch. I think that's going to be the majority of the cases I have.

Note that you'll no longer be able to use any ports on the firewall. Everything has to go to the switch. Including FHC, FM zones, etc.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

If they are going to send 24-port switches to all of the buildings, then the old switches can go away. Most of my buildings will overrun an 8-port switch, and so the old switch will not go away.

The stake center could use three new 24-port switches, but it would be better just to add an 8-port switch between the firewall and the existing rack of multiple switches, I would think.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

In my case, if they send me an 8-port, then I'll have to change out the old 10/100 unmanaged switch for a GigE version so it's not a bottleneck in the system. Fortunately, unmanaged GigE switches are pretty cheap nowadays.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:In my case, if they send me an 8-port, then I'll have to change out the old 10/100 unmanaged switch for a GigE version so it's not a bottleneck in the system. Fortunately, unmanaged GigE switches are pretty cheap nowadays.
How is it not a bottleneck now?

Edit: is it because some devices are going direct to the firewall?

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:How is it not a bottleneck now?
It is - rather, they are - in all 3 of our buildings. Been contemplating changing them out, but I'm glad now I waited. I'm crossing my fingers 24-port gear shows up. I don't really know how the line will be drawn to determine who gets 8-port and who gets 24-port.
jacobstimpson

Post by jacobstimpson »

I managed 1,800 Meraki networks with my previous employer and when the church installed Meraki in the meetinghouses I wondered why they didn't also do the switches. I am glad to hear they are doing it. It will surely simplify troubleshooting and loads of other issues that the GSD deals with.

I know that many STS's aren't networking experts so if I wanted to volunteer to help with the changes in my area anyone know how I could get on a list?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jacobstimpson wrote:I know that many STS's aren't networking experts so if I wanted to volunteer to help with the changes in my area anyone know how I could get on a list?
I'd contact the FM group and let them know. Whatever the STS can't/doesn't do falls into their lap.

mitchrichie

Post by mitchrichie »

Unfortunately the FM group people seem not to be network experts either. Bishops in one of my buildings started complaining that the internet wasn't working... Went to investigate and discovered they have installed one of these new 8 port switches but didn't bother testing to see if any connected clerk computers or access points worked.

I was able to revert to the old switch and get everything working again but now what? I can see that nothing lights up when plugged into the new switch. Looks like it's cloud managed and as STS we don't have access to manage it? Kind of at a loss as to how to troubleshoot a cloud managed switch that I don't manage.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”