Managed switches

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Managed switches

Post by russellhltn »

mitchrichie wrote:Looks like it's cloud managed and as STS we don't have access to manage it? Kind of at a loss as to how to troubleshoot a cloud managed switch that I don't manage.
It's all set up and configured via Technology Manager. Yes, STS does have access to that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mitchrichie wrote:I was able to revert to the old switch and get everything working again but now what?
As STS, you should be able to install the new managed switch. Instructions are at the Help Center. Go to this page and scroll down to Meetinghouse Switches. The Meetinghouse Meraki Managed Switch Installation Guide link takes you to a PDF file with instructions.

If you are interested, the Meetinghouse Technology folks are providing online training through Microsoft Teams on Friday, September 18, and Monday, September 21. If you send me your email in a Private Message, I will forward the information to you. If you were able to reconfigure back to the old network, you probably will not need the online training but will be able to do it from the printed instructions. I have read them, and even some of our less technically-minded assistant STS folks think they can do it. I will let them, but I will also be there with them.

As an STS, I was given the opportunity to accept the assignment to install the new switches at meetinghouses in my stake, or to let the FM Group do it. I accepted the assignment. My switches are scheduled to arrive tomorrow (Monday) and the fun will begin for me. Based on information I have received, 579 of us in the United States agreed to do it.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I just received my heads-up on this change today, along with the Teams meeting schedule. We don't have a rack -- just a little table. I need to check to see if we have an open power socket for the managed switch. We don't have many power outlets there, and I don't really want to daisy-chain surge protectors.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I just did a network inventory. We currently have:
- One old Meraki firewall.
- One 16-port unmanaged switch, connected to port #1 of the Meraki firewall.
- Four POE power injectors connected to four Meraki Wireless Access Points (and to the unmanaged switch).
- One CAT 5 for the clerk's office, connected to the unmanaged switch.
- One CAT 5 for the podium, connected to the unmanaged switch.
- Three unlabeled CAT 5 cables connected to the unmanaged switch.
- One CAT 5 for the HVAC (I think), connected to port #2 of the Meraki firewall.
- One CAT 5 cable without an RJ-45 connector, dangling from the ceiling.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:I just did a network inventory. We currently have:
- One old Meraki firewall.
You will keep the firewall. You will add the managed switch in line right after the firewall.

The WAPS will plug directly into the new managed switch, along with the HVAC or other facility cable. The old unmanaged switch also can plug into the managed switch, if needed.

You will program the ports on the new managed switch for the proper function of the cable plugged into each port.

That is my simple solution. Be sure to follow the instructions or none of it will work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:Four POE power injectors connected to four Meraki Wireless Access Points (and to the unmanaged switch).
You can keep them, or let the switch supply the power. That will free up some outlets and space, not to mention simplifying the cabling.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:You can keep them, or let the switch supply the power.
Does the managed switch supply power to the WAPS? I must have missed that somewhere. That is good news, since all of the WAPS are required to be plugged into the managed switch after the reconfiguration.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

It sure looks like we can get rid of the power injectors:
MS120-8 LP includes 67W PoE/PoE+
MS120-8 FP includes 124W PoE/PoE+
Up to 30W per port
https://meraki.cisco.com/product/switch ... s/ms120-8/
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Does anyone know how the criteria, for the type of switch(s) to be installed, is arrived at?
Does someone (STS?) carry out a pre delivery survey?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:Does anyone know how the criteria, for the type of switch(s) to be installed, is arrived at?
Does someone (STS?) carry out a pre delivery survey?
I was sent an email asking if I would be willing to install it. It included install instructions. I immediately responded with concerns about some buildings, backed by network diagrams.

Some basic planning rules:
- Nothing but the first managed switch will connect to the firewall.
- Each AP should be a Meraki and has to be connected directly to a managed switch
- Each workforce user should be directly connected to a manged switch.
- The feed to the switch will be on port 9, so it doesn't count against the 8 ports.
- All other users can be connected to a unmanned switch. It is not expected that all connections will be accommodated by the new switches. In many cases old switches will remain to service "Public" zone users.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”