Links to Videos Broken -- HELP

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
jeffhess

Links to Videos Broken -- HELP

Post by jeffhess »

Here's a link to a video I want to share: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/med ... s?lang=eng. This link worked on April 26, 2020, but today it leads to a page not found error.

So, I've done some preliminary troubleshooting, and here's what I've found: Apparently the sub-directory "/media-library/" has been replaced by "/media/", however, even making that change does not fix the link. Even more interesting, if I click on the magnifying glass that leads me to "Search Church sites" and enter "the-power-of-godliness" (without quotes, but with dashes), I'm taken to this page: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/sea ... rue&page=1. The third entry is for the video I want. Click on that . . . "Page Not Found". (https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/med ... s?lang=eng)

Can you please help me find this 3 minute and 43 second video?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Links to Videos Broken -- HELP

Post by sbradshaw »

I did some searching and wasn't able to find it either. The Gospel Media website was just revamped a week or two ago – I wonder if some media went missing. You could try sending a message using the Feedback link at the bottom of the Gospel Media site.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote:The Gospel Media website was just revamped a week or two ago – I wonder if some media went missing.
All of the media I recently have been searching for seem to be gone. I just assumed that the links were broken and would eventually get fixed.

I did send feedback on one of them and received a response from the GSD that "We are continuing to improve the search functionality and your feedback has been logged." Unfortunately, it was not a search problem. It was a link problem that the search returned, so I have no idea if the GSD understood or is working the problem.

It turns out that one of the talks I was trying to find turned up in Gospel Library, but I still cannot find it at the Media Center.

For the record, I attribute not being able to find things at the Media Center as my own personal user error. My mind is not able to understand how things are organized there and figuring out where to look for things totally escapes my mental grasp. I realize it may appear that I am giving the Media Center folks a pass with this attitude. And that is exactly what I am doing. Life is too short to worry about it, except for the rare moments when I am trying to help the bishop or stake president find a particular talk that both he and I know we actually read, heard, or saw.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

lajackson wrote:I did send feedback on one of them and received a response from the GSD that "We are continuing to improve the search functionality and your feedback has been logged." Unfortunately, it was not a search problem. It was a link problem that the search returned, so I have no idea if the GSD understood or is working the problem.
It sounds like they didn't completely understand the problem, so I'd definitely recommend following up to clarify. I'm sure they get so many emails in a day, that it would be easy to go on auto-pilot in responding (I know that they do rely heavily on canned responses for certain types of issues).
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

sbradshaw wrote:I'm sure they get so many emails in a day, that it would be easy to go on auto-pilot in responding (I know that they do rely heavily on canned responses for certain types of issues).
I get those canned responses a lot. And it is frustrating when the canned response is not remotely related to the issue. It takes two, three, and four replies to their responses restating the problem and what I have done on my end before I get something that suggests they care.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote:It sounds like they didn't completely understand the problem, so I'd definitely recommend following up to clarify.
The GSD assigned it a case number. Does that mean they are actually planning to work on the problem. Although the canned response was off the mark, anyone who looks at the report with the intention of fixing the problem should not have any trouble at all figuring out what needs to happen.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

No, every message that comes in is automatically assigned a case number. Generally, if it's categorized as a known issue, or if there's a prepared response that is deemed to fit the case, the case is marked as closed as soon as the user is responded to. It's reopened again only if the user replies, needing more help.

If the missionary or employee responding to feedback emails recognizes a feedback item as a new issue, or something urgent, then it's escalated to their supervisor, and if needed, from there it's escalated to a QA engineer, developer, product manager, or someone more closely connected to the actual content, site, or app.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote:It's reopened again only if the user replies, needing more help.
I replied. Let the reopening begin.

I just feel so silly translating English into English. But I understand the world of busy and the lost art of skimming accurately.

Return to “Digital Media”