Using the new church logo

Use this forum to share and discuss ideas that do not fall into a specific audiovisual media type.
sdwallentine

Using the new church logo

Post by sdwallentine »

I have copied the following from the article "The Church’s New Symbol Emphasizes the Centrality of the Savior".

This new symbol will be used on Church materials as directed by the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Detailed usage guidelines are being developed, including possible uses of the new symbol around the world.

“The symbol will now be used as a visual identifier for official literature, news, and events of the Church,” the prophet continued. “It will remind all that this is the Savior’s Church and that all we do, as members of His Church, centers on Jesus Christ and His gospel.”

My question is. . . does this mean that only church headquarters are allowed to use the new symbol? Can a ward relief society have the symbol on their weekly newsletter?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Using the new church logo

Post by lajackson »

I believe that the new symbol will be controlled in a manner very similar to the former Church logo. Except in very rare instances, Church headquarters did not allow local units to use the logo. I expect that it will be the same for the symbol.

The Intellectual Property Office would be able to provide more specific and official information. Their phone number is available if you click on the Terms of Use link at the bottom of most Church website pages, including this one.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

See General Handbook 38.8.11. It's copied from Handbook 2 which was last updated a month before the new logo.
The Church’s official logotype (see the front cover of this handbook) is to be used only for items approved by the Correlation Department at Church headquarters.
Local units may use the written name of the Church (not the logotype) when all of the following conditions are met:

- The activity or function with which the name is associated is officially sponsored by the unit (for example, a sacrament meeting program).
- The name of the local unit is used as a prelude to the name of the Church (for example, Canyon View Ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints).
- The typeface does not imitate or resemble the official Church logotype.
As far as I know, it's never been allowed for local units to use the logo. That part is not new.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

sdwallentine wrote:My question is. . . does this mean that only church headquarters are allowed to use the new symbol?
Yes.
sdwallentine wrote:Can a ward relief society have the symbol on their weekly newsletter?
No. russellhltn posted the General Handbook information. Here is the link. The new symbol is subject to the same restrictions as the logotype.

Things are even restricted internally. We received an email saying that we should only migrate to the new symbol when approved by the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve and should not start updating web sites without that approval.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

scgallafent wrote:We received an email saying that we should only migrate to the new symbol when approved by the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve and should not start updating web sites without that approval.
Frankly, I'm surprised that this webpage gets the banner. I know it's coming from the main website, but still...
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

russellhltn wrote:
scgallafent wrote:We received an email saying that we should only migrate to the new symbol when approved by the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve and should not start updating web sites without that approval.
Frankly, I'm surprised that this webpage gets the banner. I know it's coming from the main website, but still...
I don't see the new logo in the banner anywhere on the Tech website. Instead I see just the name of the Church.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Frankly, I'm surprised that this webpage gets the banner. I know it's coming from the main website, but still...
Do you mean the old logo in the Church header at the top of the page? I think everything at ChurchofJesusChrist.org gets it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:I don't see the new logo in the banner anywhere on the Tech website. Instead I see just the name of the Church.
I was referring to the old "logotype".
lajackson wrote:
russellhltn wrote:Frankly, I'm surprised that this webpage gets the banner. I know it's coming from the main website, but still...
Do you mean the old logo in the Church header at the top of the page? I think everything at ChurchofJesusChrist.org gets it.
Yes. But the logo was meant to show official information. I understand why we have it, but it seems like a flaw.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Yes. But the logo was meant to show official information. I understand why we have it, but it seems like a flaw.
We are official. That is why we moderate. [grin]

Return to “General Media Discussions”