Lenovo Think Centre M720q Setup

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
rscorse47

Lenovo Think Centre M720q Setup

Post by rscorse47 »

Just received 2 new Lenovo M720q admin computers. Looks and works nice here at home doing the initial setup and system upgrades. Question I have is regarding the USB ports: there are 3 USB 2.0 ports and 2 USB 3 ports. One of the units to be changed out has the keyboard, mouse and two printers currently connected to the old PC. Is there a problem using the USB3 ports for keyboard and/or mouse connections, or perhaps the printers? Read online about some Dell users having difficulties doing that.
Biggles

Re: Lenovo Think Centre M720q Setup

Post by Biggles »

I have just received 3 Dell Optiplex 7070 with 5 USB 3.0 ports and 1 USB C port. I have had no issues with mice/keyboard USB connections, or operation.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

No problem. You'll probably want to make sure the "free" USB is a USB 3 for adding a backup drive.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I am having to set up 8 machines at the Church, because I only have a laptop at home and do not own a USB keyboard or mouse. [sigh]
I suppose I could "borrow" a keyboard and mouse for a while, but it would be just my luck that the bishopric would show up to try and do a deposit while I had them. [grin]
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

None of the new machines came with their own? That's unusual.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:None of the new machines came with their own? That's unusual.
What's unusual is that I should have looked before I complained. The FM Group said they were only ordering CPUs to save money. Guess I won't be heading to the meetinghouse tomorrow after all.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:The FM Group said they were only ordering CPUs to save money.
You always have to check with people when they refer to parts of computers. :lol: I don't know how many times people have called their monitor a "computer".

In this case, I think what they meant is no monitors or printers.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

What do you do with the Administrator account (the real one, not the unit account)? I do not recall seeing any instructions on that.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:What do you do with the Administrator account (the real one, not the unit account)? I do not recall seeing any instructions on that.
Typically, Windows sets it up as a disabled account and whatever name you enter (unit name) is made into an account that belongs to the "Administrators" group.

In other words, it's there, but disabled and can't be used to log into the machine. At least that seems to be the default in many cases. There are exceptions.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:In other words, it's there, but disabled and can't be used to log into the machine. At least that seems to be the default in many cases. There are exceptions.
It seems they may have forgotten to do that with this latest batch of computers I received. The actual Admin account is open, rolls right into the desktop, and has full power and authority.

Since a password was not required, once I signed on as Admin, I had to work hard to figure out how to get back to one of the other accounts that did require a password. Then I assigned Admin a password I will remember (by writing it down on my Tech Book), at least until I receive further light an knowledge.

Return to “Clerk Computers”