Gift Cards Reimbursement Queston

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
BrianEdwards

Re: Gift Cards Reimbursement Queston

Post by BrianEdwards »

All this (good) discussion about gift cards got me to thinking about the general principle (for fast offering funds, not budgets). A member who the Bishop couldn't trust with a $50 gift card, likely also can't be trusted to be using their own money properly if the Bishop authorizes a $900 rent payment. This is just a good reminder for me about the importance of working closely with the potential recipient, regardless of what type of support the Bishop is considering. And the importance of follow-up and member accountability, whether that's a paper trail of receipts, or a review with the member of their financial status after fast offering funds are used.
keithmeyer

Re: Gift Cards Reimbursement Queston

Post by keithmeyer »

Something else about giving a gift card reminds me of the quote from Elder Wilford Anderson that Elder Renlund used in his April 2016 General Conference talk. He said, "The greater the distance between the giver and the receiver, the more the receiver develops a sense of entitlement." It starts to create a "What about me?" feeling. Giving gift cards feels like it widens the distance between giver and receiver. It is less personal.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”