Satellite Network Change

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Satellite Network Change

Post by russellhltn »

As an STS, I got a email yesterday indicating that the satellite system will be changing frequencies. The change will be pushed out June 28-30. If your system is not on or functioning, it won't get the change. But if you find out it's not working, there were instructions on changing it manually.

I'm not seeing a Help Center article.

I've asked if there's a way in TM to see if the change took effect, but the response is "not sure".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Satellite Network Change

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:I've asked if there's a way in TM to see if the change took effect, but the response is "not sure".
Brilliant to ask that question. I think there is a way to know if the change takes place.

At the TM Dashboard, go to a unit with a C-band satellite dish (the big dish) and click on the Satellite Receiver UA Number. Scroll down a little and look on the left for the frequency to which the satellite is tuned. Right now all of mine say the frequency is 3922. If that has changed after Tuesday, I think you are good to go.

I am guessing it will change to 3823 or 3824, but that is just a wild guess on my part. But something should change if the Church is moving to a new frequency.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I noticed the frequency, but what I have now isn't matching any instructions I can find. But I also noticed that my receivers don't seem to be receiving. I'm going to have to look into that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

russellhltn wrote:I also noticed that my receivers don't seem to be receiving. I'm going to have to look into that.
Turned out they were plugged in wrong. Easy fix.

Looking at the instructions, the current screen, and TM, I expect the frequency will change from 3922 to 3824 when it takes place.

What was throwing me off is the screenshot in the directions showed a different frequency, which made me wonder if it was going to work as expected.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Well fun.
  • As of this morning, my receivers have not switched over.
  • Despite the fact that the church is no longer paying the bill, the old frequency is still in operation. (So, just because it's working now doesn't mean you're all set.)
  • After manually moving the receiver to the new frequency, the change is not reflected in TM.
  • I've learned there are more changes coming in the months ahead.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:
  • I've learned there are more changes coming in the months ahead.
I better hurry and get mine wired to the Facility Zone so (hopefully) the changes forthcoming can be made with less intervention.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:I better hurry and get mine wired to the Facility Zone so (hopefully) the changes forthcoming can be made with less intervention.
You can monitor, but can't really make changes.

Besides, the upcoming changes (about a year) are bigger then that.

Return to “Satellite”