Sacrament Meeting

Discussions around receiving conferences and broadcasts for the meetinghouse via Internet.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Sacrament Meeting

Post by lajackson »

Any device that can contact a specific URL on the Internet can access a Church webcast. For example you would have to be able to tell it to go to something like
"http://mywebcast.churchofjesuschrist.org/view/00000" (<< This link will not work. It is just an example.)
or similar. Some devices can do that. Others need to have a "channel" programmed in to find webcasts, such as the Latter-day Saints Channel or one of a hundred others.
dbriscoe

Post by dbriscoe »

Thanks. I guess that my more general question is: Does anyone know WHICH of the TV Streaming devices, such as those I mentioned can access a specific URL, and how to do that? One reason for asking is that some individuals/families in our ward (especially older members) do have an internet connection of some sort, but not the capability to connect on a smart phone or computer. It would be nice to set something affordable up so that they could see the broadcasts on their TV, without someone bringing a separate device in each time.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It depends on how that ward is streaming the service. Some are using YouTube, so I'd think in that case it would be possible.

If the ward is using the Church Webcast system, there is a Android TV app "Meetinghouse Webcast". They'll need the meeting code. But this will have to be an authentic Android TV, not just Android.

Otherwise, unless the TV has a web browser, I don't think it can be done.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

lajackson wrote:Any device that can contact a specific URL on the Internet can access a Church webcast. For example you would have to be able to tell it to go to something like
"http://mywebcast.churchofjesuschrist.org/view/00000" (<< This link will not work. It is just an example.)
or similar. Some devices can do that. Others need to have a "channel" programmed in to find webcasts, such as the Latter-day Saints Channel or one of a hundred others.
This article has a few options:
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-downloa ... er-4684267
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
dbriscoe

Post by dbriscoe »

Thank you for the article link. I've installed the Silk browser for Firestick and it seems to work.
ccordoba24

Re: Satke Conference

Post by ccordoba24 »

Hi,

We are using Meetinghouse Webcast for Stake Conference and everything is OK with OBS and cameras etc...however I can only schedule up to 120 min maximum. But conference sessions last 120min and sometimes go over that by a few minutes.But with buffering I should really book from 9:45 for those 2hrs, taking me to 11:45 -but the session ends at 12:00, so I need to repeat that stream or book from 10:00am and hope conference will end at 12:00 exactly, not a 12:04.

So because of this problem I'm wondering if it is possible to increase the maximum time for Conference bookings? to, say, 150 mins max? This would help out a bit with these longer conference sessions.

Regards,..
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Set the start/end time for the actual event. Some leeway is added in automatically. If you set it to start at 10, the servers will be up and ready starting at 9. If the conference is going long, you can extend it during the conference. But I think there's some leeway on the backend as well.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ccordoba24

Post by ccordoba24 »

russellhltn wrote:Set the start/end time for the actual event. Some leeway is added in automatically. If you set it to start at 10, the servers will be up and ready starting at 9. If the conference is going long, you can extend it during the conference. But I think there's some leeway on the backend as well.
Ok, I'll try that. I know the server is up before 10 am but not sure if people can log in before 10am.

As long as it can go on for 5min or 10 min extra we should be fine.

Also, do you know why does my name come up at the top of all viewing streams? ie member logs in to , say, Stake Seminary Graduation and they see that title and my name underneath it.
Is it possible to no have my name come up there? does anyone know how to get rid of it? if it's possible.

Cheers,
:D
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

ccordoba24 wrote:I know the server is up before 10 am but not sure if people can log in before 10am.
People can begin viewing at any time. If you're not webcasting yet, they will get a canned video from the church. As russellhltn pointed out, any time after 9am, you can begin webcasting. When you do, any viewers already online will be automatically switched over to your video feed within a minute or two.
jensenmi

Re: Sacrament Meeting - Zoom Platform

Post by jensenmi »

There is a deficiency with the Zoom Platform for attending virtual sacrament meetings and Sunday School. The problem is, unlike any other streaming service, to have the family gathered around the TV using an HDMI cable from a laptop, the sound does NOT transfer from the laptop speakers to the TV speakers. It is NOT a TV problem as the service has been duplicated with multiple television sets. Further, Windows 10 recognizes the TV speakers as being active when the HDMI cable is connected, but Zoom insists on using the laptop speakers instead of the TV speakers.

This problem makes it very difficult to hear the speakers during the sacrament meeting or during Sunday School.

If the Church has any technological fixes for this problem, it would be very helpful to families. BTW, Zoom has been notified of the problem (actual more than a month ago), but Zoom has provided no answer or resolution to the problem.

Please help.

Return to “Receiving Internet Broadcasts”