Auditor wants all past documents scanned in...Help

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
kj7ym

Post by kj7ym »

I have tried several times to figure out how to scan a receipt into the system after the fact. That is to say after the process has been completed and the reimbursement made. It seems though that once the process is complete nothing can be changed.

Our Stake Clerk however is demanding we go back and scan in all manually processed documents before our audit. He said he has heard it is possible, but he has no idea how.

I would love to be able to do this. Can anyone tell us how? Thank you all so much.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: Auditor wants all past documents scanned in...Help

Post by rmrichesjr »

I'm guessing you are either an assistant stake clerk, a ward clerk, or an assistant ward clerk. If I understand correctly, one of the responsibilities of the stake clerk is to train the assistant stake clerks and ward clerks in _how_ to perform their responsibilities. Just my opinion, but I would think it would be fair game to put the ball back in the court of the stake clerk by asking him to train you on how to do what he has demanded.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I am a ward clerk. When I open an expense (EFT or check), I see "Attached Receipts" under the list of approvals. I click on "Attached Receipts" and can then upload, review, or delete any attachments for that expense.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

kj7ym wrote:Auditor wants all past documents scanned in...Help

I have tried several times to figure out how to scan a receipt into the system after the fact. That is to say after the process has been completed and the reimbursement made. It seems though that once the process is complete nothing can be changed.

Our Stake Clerk however is demanding we go back and scan in all manually processed documents before our audit. He said he has heard it is possible, but he has no idea how.

I would love to be able to do this. Can anyone tell us how? Thank you all so much.
Although you certainly can do that, there is zero reason for the auditor to require it. It makes it easier, certainly, and the auditor can spend his time reviewing the documents and transactions before ever coming into the building (assuming your auditor prepares beforehand).

If they aren't uploaded, he just has to look at the physical versions. Going forward, absolutely scan them in. But spend time retroactively scanning and attaching the receipts? I wouldn't.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I agree it is not necessary to scan all documents in just to make it easier for the auditor. Having said that, I admit that when the upload ability was introduced, I did exactly that -- I scanned in every piece of paper I had in my files from the beginning of the audit period. But the joke was on me. Our auditor was much more interested in looking at paper documents than online images.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

allenjpl wrote:Although you certainly can do that, there is zero reason for the auditor to require it. It makes it easier, certainly, and the auditor can spend his time reviewing the documents and transactions before ever coming into the building (assuming your auditor prepares beforehand).
I agree, and normally I'd be one of the first to point that out. But given the current pandemic, he may be trying to minimize the amount of time spent in a small office with poor air circulation in close quarters with people not of his household. Particularly if his age or underlying health conditions place him at high risk.

Perhaps a compromise would be to have him randomly select a number of transactions he wants to see and then scan those in. That accomplishes the audit with less work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
waltbristow

Post by waltbristow »

The Church Auditing Department recommended past documents be scanned because of Covid-19. They had two concerns. First was the close contact that personal meetings might require. Second was that some parts of the world (and the United States) do have travel restrictions that make it difficult for auditors to travel to units. For example, in my Area Coordinating Council we have a stake with units in 3 different states. Travel between art least 2 of those states has occasionally been limited - or at least "unnecessary" travel has been limited. As an assistant area auditor, I'm discovering very few units went back to scan old documentation.
brown67

Post by brown67 »

It's easy from your phone or tablet. Log into LCR and find the expense. Open it and find attach receipts. You can then take a picture and update. Easier than scanning and upload.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”