Remove a record

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
thomaspatrickoneill

Remove a record

Post by thomaspatrickoneill »

Here are the facts:
Our adopted son was blessed and given a MRN at the age of 6. He was not baptized, so he is not an official member. At the age of 9, he returned to live with his biological aunt, who adopted him. Because he didn't show any interest in being a part of our family on earth, our stake president recommended we cancel the sealing. The sealing was recently cancelled by the First Presidency.
He reverted back to his birth name, so it's like a fictitious record at this point.
How do I remove his name from our family record? Or delete his MRN?
Thanks.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: Remove a record

Post by rmrichesjr »

I think the best place to start would be to talk with your bishop. I would guess Church headquarters will need to do the operation on the MRN at the request of the bishop. If there are other procedures to follow, your bishop will either know or can find out.
thomaspatrickoneill

Post by thomaspatrickoneill »

Thank you for the reply.
We just had a new Branch President called, so I'm sure he would just contact the stake president. My stake president told me, that as the clerk I can try moving his record out. In an effort to not run in circles and give the stake clerk a break from my questions, I thought I'd use his advice and post on this forum. I will post the results when this is all over for any other families with this unique situation.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

How old is the child? Normally, you don't cancel the record until the child reaches 18. But canceling the sealing shows this isn't "normal".

I think you need to contact support and have a discussion with them. You may not be able to do it from your end.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Don't just move it out to make it disappear.

You can request that the record be cancelled. Given the scenario, the most straightforward way is probably for the branch president or clerk to contact the Global Services Department and have them process the change.
chambem

Re: Remove a record from LDS Tools and Ward Directory

Post by chambem »

I was texted this information from a member of my ward: " I can’t access lds tools. I was hoping you could delete my information from the app and the ward so people will stop messaging me." As she didn't ask for her membership to be removed, only her information from the app and from the membership directory -- can this be done?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Speak with the bishop before you do anything. Technically you have no ability of removing her contact information from the Directory or from Member Tools without removing it from her membership record. This is generally not a preferred option as then communication from church headquarters, the stake presidency, the bishop or other ward leaders would not be possible.

One thing you can do is set the privacy level for her contact information to "Private - leadership only". Then you can communicate to the ward council and organization presidencies her desire to not be included in general communications. The general membership would not have access to her contact information but church, stake, and ward leaders would have for important church communications.

There are other threads in the forum discussing this unique issue for members who have received communications beyond their tolerance level with some suggested approaches. You may find some suggestions that may work for her situation.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

My solution was to move individual email and phone to the household level. The Send a Message function only uses the individual contact data.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
rishers88

Post by rishers88 »

I recently found out that the non-member spouse of an less-active sister in my ward died.
I tried going to the member record, going to the "Family" tab & clicking on the pencil to make changes.
I chose the "change marriage status" option then "death of spouse" & entered the death date.
The next step is a yes/no question with this warning:
"Recording this death will also record a death date for the deceased member. Do you want to continue?"
I don't want to say yes as the "member" is not the one who died, it was her non-member husband who died.
Do I continue with this "tack" or is there another way to remove him?
Thanx!
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

rishers88 wrote:I recently found out that the non-member spouse of an less-active sister in my ward died.
I tried going to the member record, going to the "Family" tab & clicking on the pencil to make changes.
I chose the "change marriage status" option then "death of spouse" & entered the death date.
The next step is a yes/no question with this warning:
"Recording this death will also record a death date for the deceased member. Do you want to continue?"
I don't want to say yes as the "member" is not the one who died, it was her non-member husband who died.
Do I continue with this "tack" or is there another way to remove him?
Thanx!
That's the right way. I think that the warning message is probably for the case where the spouse is a member and they just show it whether the spouse is actually a member or not. It shouldn't record a death date for the sister in this case.

Return to “Membership Help”