sbradshaw wrote:Do you have a calling that should have access to the old Handbook 1? (local-leader is the role-based catalog [list of available books] that includes Handbook 1.)
Yes, and I used to know which one it was.
sbradshaw wrote:If so, do you see Handbook 1 in the Handbooks and Callings section? And do you see local-leader listed as a downloaded catalog under Settings > App Details?
Yes and yes (v297).
sbradshaw wrote:Which regular English catalog version do you have listed in Settings > App Details (the latest is 987)? Can you produce the "failed to download" toast message on demand by pulling to refresh on the main library screen?
English catalog v987. After four days, I can no longer produce the "failed to download" message. For the first few days I could produce the message on demand, which is why I posted. I have seen the same problem with previous updates, but it had usually resolved itself within a few hours, which I attributed to the struggling process the app was going through to update on my phone.
I would attribute the problem again to the update process, except that this time it took days to resolve, instead of hours. With the update taking so long to stabilize, the app would have been useless if I had planned to use it at church the next day.
The download error never caused the app to crash. What I see mostly now is that the app does not seem to be aware if everything is downloaded in a particular area and presents only the Download All or the Remove All options. For example, under Scriptures > Study Helps and Scriptures > Basic Resources. Both of those areas seem to be fully populated, and I am able to use the items under them. But there is not the normal Remove, Add to..., and Create Study Plan menu for them.
Also, under Magazines > Ensign, pulling down to refresh does not download all of the magazines. It only downloads the current year. If I want to download 2019 and earlier magazines, I have to go to the individual years to download them.
Several three-word searches under Scriptures cause the app to totally crash. I thought at first it was because of the update process, but everything has indexed now and it still crashes. GSC is working on an example where I was trying to find a scripture reference on healing the sick ("any among you"). There were several other related searches, but I have forgotten what they were. It was only three-word searches. Two or four worked fine. The GSC came back with a request for my username and app instance ID which I sent back last night.
The new process does not allow us to see help requests we have sent as we could when email was used, but when GSC returned the information with its request for more info, I was tickled to learn that my WiFi is in really good shape:
Connected, not metered, Internet, not restricted, trusted, not VPN, validated, not roaming, foreground, not congested, and not suspended, with 1048576Kbs of LinkUp and Down Bandwidth. Sounded pretty impressive to me. [grin]