Bringing Gospel Library to macOS

This forum will hold posts about new technologies and how they could be or are being used to benefit the Church.
tpoehlmann

Bringing Gospel Library to macOS

Postby tpoehlmann » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:38 pm

With the announcement that Apple will be using its own silicon chips in its computers, now would be the time to begin transitioning the Gospel Library app to the Mac. There is something called the Universal App Quick Start Program which lets developers begin moving apps to the macOS now. See more details here: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/06/apple-announces-mac-transition-to-apple-silicon/

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Bringing Gospel Library to macOS

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:43 pm

Keep in mind that GL for Windows is due to an all-volunteer effort, back in the days when Windows was also on phones.

Unless a group of volunteers comes forward to do the same for Mac, I highly doubt that's going to happen.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Postby jdlessley » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:04 pm

russellhltn wrote:Keep in mind that GL for Windows is due to an all-volunteer effort, back in the days when Windows was also on phones.

Unless a group of volunteers comes forward to do the same for Mac, I highly doubt that's going to happen.

With the end of support for Windows 10 phones ending on 10 December 2019 and the lack of necessary security updates I doubt Windows Gospel Library is long for this world. Security is a driving factor for lack of support for older iOS and Android operating systems and eventually there will be a decision to drop Windows Gospel Library. How that would affect any effort to bring together a volunteer development team for macOS does not look good.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center?

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:26 pm

jdlessley wrote:With the end of support for Windows 10 phones ending on 10 December 2019 and the lack of necessary security updates I doubt Windows Gospel Library is long for this world.

I'd think that would depend on the volunteers. It is still useful for desktop users as well as a few other things (X-box?).

Either way, unless a group of MacOS developers appears that are willing to take on the project, it's not going to happen.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

sbradshaw

Postby sbradshaw » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:31 pm

Apple's new chips will be able to run iOS apps natively, with no code changes required – so technically no development work is necessary. However, there are a lot of things that could be done to provide a real macOS experience, rather than just an iOS app running in a window on the screen – particularly with Catalyst.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Emerging Technologies”