Verifying addresses

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
munaish

Verifying addresses

Post by munaish »

What is the reason addresses in the ward directory need verification? Or do they need it?

What criteria should a ward membersip clerk use to verify an address?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Verifying addresses

Post by jdlessley »

marnofi wrote:What is the reason addresses in the ward directory need verification?
This is to ensure the location has been accurately plotted. All the variables such as new development construction, accuracy (or inaccuracy) of sources providing input for the location, and so on can sometimes lead to questionable location plotting.
marnofi wrote:Or do they need it?
Not necessarily. But the confidence level of the accuracy of the location by those who are going to use that address plot to navigate to the address is increased if it has been verified. It also helps when doing things such as emergency preparedness to have a verified location address.
marnofi wrote:What criteria should a ward membersip clerk use to verify an address?
If someone uses the location plotted on the map and can use that to find/visit the household then that is my criterion. The sources used to verify can be as simple as the family living at the address telling you that it is accurately plotted. I use local GIS mapping resources to verify a location. If the address is new construction and hasn't made it onto the local GIS maps then I will drive out to find the address. In the past year I've only had to do that about 3 times. I have found that for addresses that have been around for enough time that the data used by Google Maps, the source for the Ward Map, is accurate. Correlating that information with the local GIS maps helps up the confidence level.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
munaish

Post by munaish »

Thanks for the thorough reply! I didn't realize verification had to do with the map, particularly.
jgilleland

Post by jgilleland »

Is there anything in the Gen'l Handbook or elsewhere telling whether or not a Branch Pres can ask fulltime missionaries to go to an address asking if a member lives there? In other words, do we have written guidance from the church indicating if missonaries can be given a weekly assignment to check three to five addresses in the branch directory to learn if the named families actually live there or not?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jgilleland wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:09 pm Is there anything in the Gen'l Handbook or elsewhere telling whether or not a Branch Pres can ask fulltime missionaries to go to an address asking if a member lives there? In other words, do we have written guidance from the church indicating if missonaries can be given a weekly assignment to check three to five addresses in the branch directory to learn if the named families actually live there or not?
Check 33.6.4, second paragraph.

I'd image this should probably be discussed with the mission president before doing this in the quantity you're suggesting.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”