Family History :Leader calling

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
larry19810

Family History :Leader calling

Post by larry19810 »

Our ward has a new Family History Leader to coordinate with our consultants, but I cannot choose her name as a person to add to that position. I can only add her as a consultant. When I reviewed the Handbook for this position, it does not limit the choice to a Priesthood holder. "Through inspiration, the bishop determines whether to call a temple and family history leader or to have a member of the elders quorum presidency function in this role." His inspiration is not being allowed by the software. I submitted feedback on the calling page. Is there another way to request a change?
davesudweeks

Re: Family History :Leader calling

Post by davesudweeks »

I believe if you read handbook 25.4.1 carefully, you will realize the Family History Leader must be a Priesthood Holder. Men and women can serve as Family History consultants. It may not actually state that "you cannot have a sister serve in this role," but the references tend to refer to the priesthood being ultimately responsible and coordinating with the Relief Society.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

If I recall correctly, when the last change happened, any ward that did not have a male Family History Leader got one automatically - the Elders Quorum President was assigned by the software.
larry19810

Post by larry19810 »

davesudweeks wrote:If I recall correctly, when the last change happened, any ward that did not have a male Family History Leader got one automatically - the Elders Quorum President was assigned by the software.
Yes that is what happened with our ward. I 'released' the EQ President and tried to add the newly called leader. The Elders Quorum president was showing up as a contact person on a Family History Website for our ward members. It would be much better if our dedicated Leader / Lead Consultant was showing in that location. Perhaps she would also have different access for such websites. Something our EQ would not be using. With the recent changes our EQ president is nearly as busy as our Bishop used to be. They should be able to call people with talents and interest to serve in this position.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

larry19810 wrote:They should be able to call people with talents and interest to serve in this position.
You'll have to take that up with the appropriate group at Church Headquarters, either the Priesthood Department or Presiding Bishopric.

The developers aren't just interpreting the handbook, they're enforcing the business rules handed down by the sponsoring department.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
larry19810

Post by larry19810 »

russellhltn wrote:
larry19810 wrote:They should be able to call people with talents and interest to serve in this position.
You'll have to take that up with the appropriate group at Church Headquarters, either the Priesthood Department or Presiding Bishopric.

The developers aren't just interpreting the handbook, they're enforcing the business rules handed down by the sponsoring department.
I agree. Is leaving feedback on the callings page the only way to reach them? I did ask my Bishop to run the issue up through the Stake President but it seems to me this will be a very small issue by the time it reaches someone who can do anything about it. Is there no input from these forums into the process?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

larry19810 wrote:Is there no input from these forums into the process?
No, there isn't.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

As a counselor in the EQ Presidency, our EQ President recommended switching assignments for me to be the Temple and Family History Leader. My wife is probably the best Family History person in our ward (possibly in the stake, but she is currently serving in another stake calling) and this way I can easily get all the help I need. This may not work for your situation, but we think this will work for our ward - she is the brains, I am the brawn...
larry19810

Post by larry19810 »

Thanks. We had that previously with a married couple where his name appeared as the leader but she was the driver behind the effort. They were released however and the new person is a widow with no figurehead to use in that form. The default is to use the EQ president but if anyone contacts him via his name on the website, he'll just refer them to the real person.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Here are the relevant General Handbook sections:
25.4.1 wrote:The Melchizedek Priesthood holder who serves in the role of ward temple and family history leader has the following responsibilities: ...
8.3.2.2 wrote:... Similarly, another member of the presidency acts as the ward temple and family history leader or supervises a Melchizedek Priesthood holder who is called to that responsibility. These brethren may be invited to attend ward council meetings as needed. ...
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”