Push Notifications

Any discussions around the Gospel Living App on various mobile devices.
zachtannerokc

Push Notifications

Post by zachtannerokc »

Any idea why the Circles function does not allow push notifications? We would like to use this tool to communicate as a High Council, but if our members cannot easily see when a new message is available, then it's not very useful.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Push Notifications

Post by russellhltn »

In my limited experience I do see the notification if there's a new message in my circle.

The members have to have the app installed, and they have to join the appropriate circle. Those are not insignificant issues.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
zachtannerokc

Post by zachtannerokc »

We have not found that to be the case. I am only able to see messages if I actually open the app. I have checked all the notification settings and they're turned on. The only way I can know if someone has sent a message in the circle is if I open the application. After receiving your message, I had someone else try sending a message to test it out again, and my assessment of the situation remains the same - notifications are not working.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I have the opposite problem. I head for bed about 9 PM. As I hit the pillow, my Gospel Living app fires up with a bunch of messages and cross-talk from my quorum. Some messages are return-and-report messages, while others are requests for volunteers for a short-notice task. I can't silence my phone at night, but I am tempted to suppress notifications from the Gospel Living app. I know as soon as I do that, I will miss an important message meant for me. Oh well.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

supermanofokc wrote:We have not found that to be the case. I am only able to see messages if I actually open the app.
iOS or Android? I can only speak to my experience with Android.

Just to double-check: In the app, under "Profile", then "Notification Settings", you have everything turned on? There may also be settings at the OS level that allow/block notifications from that app.

Also, are you an actual member of the circle (such as "Adults"), or just the "monitor" (the parent who is part of the youth circle)? I don't know if there's a difference, but I could see a possibility.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Android has two OS settings that would prevent notifications from the app from getting through. If Gospel Living is in the Sleeping Apps section then it won't run in the background and the app will not receive any updates or send notifications unless the app is actively running (open). If the OS Data saver is activated and the app is not listed as an exception then data usage is cut down when the app is not open (notifications will not be received unless the app is open).

iOS may have similar OS settings that can interfere with the app getting notifications. A quick Internet search turned up a low power feature that would disable notifications. There may be other OS modes that could affection notifications.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:If Gospel Living is in the Sleeping Apps section then it won't run in the background and the app will not receive any updates or send notifications unless the app is actively running (open).
I'm not finding that (Android 10), but I do see a setting under Battery usage where I can allow/deny "use battery in background".

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I forgot to state my version of Android is 9. I have no clue about 10.

My point being that a user may need to dig into their OS settings for anything such as battery saving, other power usage settings, data usage restrictions, or anything relating to power usage or data usage to track down a possible block to the Gospel Living app not getting notifications.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
TrailRider

Post by TrailRider »

For Android 9 users, maybe I can help with the OS settings . Simply tap and hold the the Gospel Living app icon - then click on App Info. If you then click on "Notifications", you can confirm you notifications settings. In addition, if you click on "Mobile data", you can ensure that "Allow background data usage" and "Allow app while Data saver on" are both turned on. Hopefully, this helps someone.
Xaritos

Post by Xaritos »

I am using iPhone SE 2020. I am not seeing any push notifications on my Lock Screen or any options to turn on push notifications for my circles either in the app’s in-app settings or in the OS Settings app.

My Bishop just asked that all members start using Circles for receiving announcements for activities, but without push notifications, I won’t get the updates unless I remember to look for them in Circles.

Does Circles not send Push Notification Banners to the Lock Screen yet?

Edit: Never mind. I tested it with my family and it is working now. I’m not sure what was happening before.
Last edited by Xaritos on Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gospel Living App”