Meetinghouse Webcast APP - Android TV?

This forum will hold posts about new technologies and how they could be or are being used to benefit the Church.
blythgoe

Meetinghouse Webcast APP - Android TV?

Post by blythgoe »

I'm curious if anyone out there has tried using Webcast 3.0. I have a Teradek Vidiu now and was hoping to give the Church's broadcast system a try.

I recently purchased this Android TV:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1

According to the required specs, this device should have worked. However, I couldn't download the app as it said:

Your device isn't compatible with this version.

Does anyone have any idea why this would be the case? Has anyone successfully used the app on Android TV?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Meetinghouse Webcast APP - Android TV?

Post by sbradshaw »

Does the new device have any software updates that need to be installed?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

That seems to be an issue with Android in general. The Play Store only lists minimum Android version, yet some apps still show as not compatible.

It's been suggested to clear the cache of the Play Store app.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
blythgoe

Post by blythgoe »

I tried a software update but it says it was up to date.

I didn't try clearing the cache. The device was brand new and the first thing I did was search for that app.
Initially it didn't show up in the list so I used chrome to search the web for it. Then I was able to navigate to it in the store to get the message above.

Sadly, I decided to send it back as I didn't think there was any way to get it working.

Should I purchase an Android 9 box? Would that be more likely to work?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

blythgoe wrote:Should I purchase an Android 9 box? Would that be more likely to work?
I don't have an answer. I think it would be best to contact support.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nmecantwin73

Post by nmecantwin73 »

blythgoe wrote:Should I purchase an Android 9 box? Would that be more likely to work?
The information found on the Help Center Webcast page may help in your Android TV device purchase decision:
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/hel ... p?lang=eng
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nmecantwin73 wrote:The information found on the Help Center Webcast page may help in your Android TV device purchase decision:
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/hel ... p?lang=eng
It looks to me that his device meets those specifications. What am I missing?

Ok, the Eithernet jack isn't 1Gbit, but I'd think 100Mbit would be enough since many people/most chapels don't have 100Mbit+ internet connection.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:It looks to me that his device meets those specifications. What am I missing?
Last year I was in the market for a new Android tablet. During my shopping, I found reviewers of some off-brand tablets not able to DL certain apps, like Google apps and Netflix, from the Play Store. In my studies, I realized there was a difference between tablets that were Android Certified and those that were simply Android compatible, even though the latter group was running the latest Android version at the time. Apparently, certification has much to do with the level of permission granted in the Play Store for that device.

I'm sure much of this is to entice manufacturers to pay Google to have their devices certified or face the consequences of having frustrated users sling around poor reviews because they can't get the apps they want. I'm equally certain Android TV devices are in the same boat. Some manufacturers avoid certification and send their users to "gray" stores like apkpure.com to "sideload" apps that were otherwise not available. This is somewhat riskier than the Google Play Store so, like anything downloaded, use with caution. However, Meetinghouse Webcast is indeed found there and might be an answer to your problem.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:I realized there was a difference between tablets that were Android Certified and those that were simply Android compatible,
While that may be a factor, the App doesn't show up on my Google Pixel. So, it's safe to say there's something more.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:
Mikerowaved wrote:I realized there was a difference between tablets that were Android Certified and those that were simply Android compatible,
While that may be a factor, the App doesn't show up on my Google Pixel. So, it's safe to say there's something more.
The app in question, Meetinghouse Webcast, will only be available to Android TV certified devices, which your Pixel is not.

Return to “Emerging Technologies”