Meetinghouse Webcast APP - Android TV?

This forum will hold posts about new technologies and how they could be or are being used to benefit the Church.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Meetinghouse Webcast APP - Android TV?

Post by russellhltn »

You're right. From the Help Center:
The app will be available only when accessing the Google Play Store on a device categorized on the store as “Android TV.” The app will not be available for download on mobile phones. If you have purchased an Android TV device but the app doesn’t appear, you will need to contact the manufacturer for resolution.
No mention if it needing to be Android Certified. Might be a good idea to add that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bartj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bartj »

There are many devices that look like they are "Android TV" but they aren't. The devices are simply built on the android platform and access the Google Playstore as a mobile device. These devices do not have access to the webcast app. The official Android TV device list is attached.
Attachments
devices (4).csv
(44.58 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
trcardon

Post by trcardon »

So an "Android TV Box" is different than an "Android TV." We are also looking for a device but I have not had a lot of luck and with the close naming of these it is very difficult to separate out the search results. Android TV is a completely different platform than Android so you have to find the devices with this other platform to support the Webcast App. If anyone finds one, please post for others and I will do the same if I can find something other than the NVIDIA Shield or Xiaomi Mi.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

trcardon wrote:So an "Android TV Box" is different than an "Android TV." We are also looking for a device but I have not had a lot of luck and with the close naming of thAndroid TV is a completely different platform than Android so you have to find the devices with this other platform to support the Webcast App.
Did you see the attachment to the post just before yours? It's a list of devices.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

trcardon wrote:So an "Android TV Box" is different than an "Android TV." We are also looking for a device but I have not had a lot of luck and with the close naming of these it is very difficult to separate out the search results. Android TV is a completely different platform than Android so you have to find the devices with this other platform to support the Webcast App. If anyone finds one, please post for others and I will do the same if I can find something other than the NVIDIA Shield or Xiaomi Mi.
The following are from a private party, but appear to be quite exhaustive lists of certified Android TV devices. Certainly will give you lots more options than the two you named.

Website
Google Sheet

While the Google Sheet is read-only, you can sort it to bring the devices of most interest to the top.
jsweeny

Post by jsweeny »

Mikerowaved wrote:
trcardon wrote:So an "Android TV Box" is different than an "Android TV." We are also looking for a device but I have not had a lot of luck and with the close naming of these it is very difficult to separate out the search results. Android TV is a completely different platform than Android so you have to find the devices with this other platform to support the Webcast App. If anyone finds one, please post for others and I will do the same if I can find something other than the NVIDIA Shield or Xiaomi Mi.
The following are from a private party, but appear to be quite exhaustive lists of certified Android TV devices. Certainly will give you lots more options than the two you named.

Website
Google Sheet

While the Google Sheet is read-only, you can sort it to bring the devices of most interest to the top.
Yes, those are good resources to identify the Google-certified Android TV devices. So many others for sale list themselves as "Android 9.0 TV boxes" which really means "these devices are running Android OS and can serve as TV boxes but are really running the mobile version of the OS, like a tablet, and are not actually Android TV certified".

The main two certified brands/models that look like they have 4 GB RAM are currently:

Mecool KM1 ($85) - [note that also the KM3, KM6, & KM9 models have 4 GB RAM]
https://www.mecoolonline.com/collection ... 8570331274

MINIX NEO T5: ($85)
https://minix.com.hk/products/neo-t5 or https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YZ1D882?ref=myi_title_dp

Return to “Emerging Technologies”