Mystery device in TM

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
drepouille

Mystery device in TM

Post by drepouille »

I've got a mystery device showing up in TM when I click on Get Connected Devices, and look in the Public zone.

linux 192.168.110.124 30:45:11:aa:fd:40 Texas Instruments

I don't think it's a wired device, since there are only two RJ-45 jacks in the building. I don't remember seeing any other devices connected to the firewall.

It's possible that this is a device in the building, or maybe even in the surrounding neighborhood. I don't think it is an FM device, since they should be using the Facility Zone.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Mystery device in TM

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:I don't think it is an FM device, since they should be using the Facility Zone.
Operative word "should". FM zone doesn't have WiFi and the installer may not have wanted to run a cable. The main purpose of the FM zone is it allows access to church employees from outside the building. If the only purpose was to get time, or to sync to the cloud, then Public Zone would work fine.

You might want to check the offices for a printer/print server box. I don't know as we could rule out an Android phone of some type. Android is based on Linux and has any number of manufacturers. Otherwise, I'd say it's either an FM device or neighborhood hacker.

A satellite receiver would show up as "Cisco".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I would propose a 99% chance it is a device the FM group has installed. Thermostat, energy usage monitoring device, security system or camera. Some type of IoT (Internet of Things) device. Those are the things made by Texas Instruments, and the MAC address says the device is, in fact, manufactured by TI.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Has the device been added to the Group Policy Manager in TM (to avoid the splash screen)? If it has, it might have a descriptive name. If not, it may not work too well.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craneps

Post by craneps »

It’s not a device that has mysteriously been installed, it part of beta test for a few stakes. All stakes have that same signal but only a few were chosen to be part of this test and given the password to use this band. More information will come when the Church IT department concludes their testing.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've got a building in my stake that has a "Linux" "Texas Instruments" device on the network. It's connected to the A/C system. However, it's hard-wired and in the FM zone. It's also located in the cabinet with the firewall, so no mystery there. IIRC, it's branded Honeywell.

drepouille

Post by drepouille »

craneps wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:29 am It’s not a device that has mysteriously been installed, it part of beta test for a few stakes. All stakes have that same signal but only a few were chosen to be part of this test and given the password to use this band. More information will come when the Church IT department concludes their testing.
Doubtful, since this device has been in my meetinghouse for many years now. I think it is connected to the HVAC, so it can be monitored by the FM from any location.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What craneps may be talking about is the same device working on WiFi via the IoTConnect SSID

You may have seen this in TM:
IoT SSID and IoT Group policy Updated: Aug 24, 2021 8:10:51 AM
Attention. The Church is currently testing a new SSID (IoTConnect) in meetinghouses. The IoT Connect SSID and IoT Group Policy is currently in BETA and should NOT be used at this time. Please do not contact the Global Service Desk (GSD) for assistance with this SSID or Group Policy at this time.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”