Policy regarding 'loading' the programmes of, both, "Zoom"; &, 'Google' "Meet", on Computers in "Family History Centres"

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
Brett.Gazeley

Policy regarding 'loading' the programmes of, both, "Zoom"; &, 'Google' "Meet", on Computers in "Family History Centres"

Post by Brett.Gazeley »

Subject: Policy regarding 'loading' the programmes of, both, "Zoom"; &, 'Google' "Meet", on Computers in "Family History Centres"
------------------
Question:
Is there ANY (Church) "Policy", either, 'for'; or, 'against', the 'loading' of programmes, like, Zoom; &/or, Google Meet, on Computers in Family History Centres.
------------------
The question was asked in the "Community.FamilySearch" Forum on "Zoom" being 'loaded' on Computers in "Family History Centres".
I am fully aware that "TeamViewer" is/can be loaded onto Computers in "Family History Centres".
[ Even, if that is ONLY for (Technical) 'Support' ].
I have looked throughout Church websites; and, these does not seem to be anything about, the the 'loading' the programmes of, both, "Zoom"; and/or, 'Google' "Meet", on Computers in "Family History Centres".
If there is ANY "Policy", either, 'for'; or, 'against', the 'loading' the programmes of, both, "Zoom"; and/or, 'Google' "Meet", on Computers in "Family History Centres", If anyone has any knowledge of such "Policy"; and, could supply ANY 'link(s)' to such "Policy", it would be very much appreciated.
'Thank You' in advance.
Brett
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Policy regarding 'loading' the programmes of, both, "Zoom"; &, 'Google' "Meet", on Computers in "Family History Cent

Post by russellhltn »

I'd suggest consulting the Family History Center Operations Guide
"Computer Software", page 28:
You may install other software products helpful for family history research.
I'm curious about who would be using this. I see allowance for missionaries to use the computers, but not for other groups.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Brett.Gazeley

Re: Policy regarding 'loading' the programmes of, both, "Zoom"; &, 'Google' "Meet", on Computers in "Family History Cent

Post by Brett.Gazeley »

russellhltn
Community Administrator
'Yes', I was aware of such, in the "Family History Centre Operations Guide" (but, not ONLY that for the USA/Canada).
[ As, I am not from over that 'neck of the woods' ... ]
But, there is NOTHING specific.
And, I know that such IMPORTANCE and "Current" ACTIVITY of 'On-Line', "Meetings"; "Training"; "Assistance"/"Help", is relatively new.
Regarding your curiosity ...
"Full-Time" Missionaries were certainly NOT the original focus of this post of mine.
In fact, the problems/issues caused by some "Full-Time" Missionaries using the "Family History Centre" computers is, in part, what prompted my post.
Luckily, our FHC does not have such a problem/issue with the "Full-Time" Missionaries using the "Family History Centre" computers.
But, from the posts in (some 'Groups') the "Community.FamilySearch" Forum, there definitely is.
'No', this post is related to, the "COVID-19" Pandemic; and, increased REQUIREMENT for 'On-Line', "Meetings"; "Training"; "Assistance"/"Help"; etc.
Most can be done/accommodated from one's HOME Computer.
But, using the Computers in the FHC would be a distinct advantage, in SOME cases - certainly not a requirement for all; but, certainly some.
Unlike some places in the World, we are lucky; as, our (local) FHC has "Re-Opened" - subject to local jurisdictional "Health and Safety" requirements.
Having "TeamViewer" for assistance from 'Support' is one thing.
But, having the likes of "Zoom"; and/or, 'Google' "Meet", on Computers in FHC; especially, during this (Extended) "COVID-19" Pandemic, would seem advantageous.
I am well aware that the having the programmes of "Zoom"; and/or, 'Google' "Meet" downloaded on a computer is NOT a necessary to participate in 'On-Line' Meeting; as, I have been a participant (from Home) with some of the Leadership meetings in the "Community.FamilySearch" Forum.
But, to be the organiser/teacher/instructor/leader of such meetings is another matter.
Just want to know if it is acceptable or not - "Policy" wise - do not want to do the wrong thing.
'Thank You' in advance.
Brett
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If you're looking for something definitive, you'll have to call FHC support and work your way past the service missionaries to actual Family History Department staff. Good luck.

The cite I gave is all I am aware of. Interpretation is usually left up to local leaders. In my non-authoritative opinion, if it's being used for Family History, then it meets the "helpful for family history research" criteria to make it allowable on the church side.

However, you'd have to read the software's EULA to make sure it's legal on the software side.

Team Viewer is prohibited on the administrative (clerk) computers for support purposes. The church approached them to see if it was ok and they said "no". I'm not sure why it seems to be OK on the FHC side.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Family History Centers”