Fast Offering Expense Limit?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Fast Offering Expense Limit?

Post by russellhltn »

BrianEdwards wrote:I am only aware of the Handbook specifications on medical expenses; other forms of fast offering expenses such as housing seem to not have any specified limits (but definitely are not limitless :D ).
True, but I think non-medical expenses quickly run into other limits such as "temporary" and "Church assistance is meant to sustain life—not to maintain lifestyle" (22.4.2) I suspect the reason there's a limit on medical is that it can quickly turn into a bottomless pit.

Whatever the bishop decides, it will be reviewed in his interview with the stake president (22.9.1.1)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
oliviasullivan

Post by oliviasullivan »

The General Handbook states that
"22.5.2.1
Medical and other health care
Each Church has set approval limits for fast offerings that pay for medical, dental or mental health expenses. The Area Presidency recommends these limits. These limits are approved by Church Welfare and Self-Reliance Executive Committee. These limits may differ by area or country. Bishops should not use fast offers to pay for mental, dental, and medical care without approval.

We hope you find it useful.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I don't see this mentioned yet in the thread, but in the current (Nov 4 2022) online Handbook, section 22.5.2.1 has a link Use of Fast Offerings for Medical Expenses. I can't speak as to what happens for members in other countries, but clicking that for me brings me to the page with policy guidelines for medical expenses in the USA & Canada. This is where the current limits are specified. This page also has more details about issues specific to medical expenses, than what's available in the Handbook.

PS: the help center link referenced by @waltbristow earlier in the thread takes me to an empty page. I expect it's not an access issue for me, more likely the Help Center was updated with a new article elsewhere (perhaps the one the Handbook now references). FWIW.

[moderator note: The limit values were removed from the post since the Code of Conduct does not permit posting "Direct quotes from any official documents that the Church has not made public (such as official letters), although you may provide references to chapter, page or section numbers."]
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

BrianEdwards wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:51 am I don't see this mentioned yet in the thread, but in the current (Nov 4 2022) online Handbook, section 22.5.2.1 has a link Use of Fast Offerings for Medical Expenses.
Access to the page in that link is limited by calling. As a ward clerk I cannot access that page. So the information is not available to the general membership.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

Not sure we should be quoting from links which are only intended for leaders.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Note to Mods:
Please feel free to remove the reference to the specific amounts in my previous post (as if you needed my permission!), I'd edit if I could but cannot. I was simply pointing to where the values stated in previous posts were likely obtained from, but if that's not kosher since it's a leader-only doc, completely understandable.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

It is also helpful to note that the specific amounts vary by country, and an area presidency also has authority to adjust the numbers in their area.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”