Church Webcasts using YouTube Live Streams

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Church Webcasts using YouTube Live Streams

Post by lajackson »

Our stake webcast a funeral recently. The pianist played prelude and postlude music out of the hymnbook. The funeral webcast now has three copyright claims against it. What is that all about?

The webcast will be taken down in a few days anyway after family who were not able to attend the funeral have a chance to view it. But it is a bit disconcerting.
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

Generally not a problem with Youtube. Even when a copyright claim is detected, it usually just prevents the video from being monetised. Occasionally depending on the copyright holder, youtube may remove part of the audio track or remove the whole audio track from the video entirely.

Luckily, none of this happens in real time as it does with Facebook. If you are streaming live on facebook and their systems detect music with copyright, they will just disconnect your stream without warning.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:21 am Our stake webcast a funeral recently. The pianist played prelude and postlude music out of the hymnbook. The funeral webcast now has three copyright claims against it. What is that all about?
Which hymns? And what does it say at the bottom of the page? Many of the hymns are too old and out of copyright. However, the church has licensed some.

If you go to Hymns, you'll notice some are missing from the download due to copyright. This includes some popular ones like All Creatures of Our God and King, How Great Thou Art, Because I Have Been Given Much
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Every week I get YouTube copyright notifications from some hymn or musical number performed. As was mentioned, these are the important parts of the YT message:
YouTube wrote:The Content ID claim on your video doesn't affect your channel. This is not a copyright strike.
Video cannot be monetized.
Just last Sunday, I got hits for the following songs:

Be Still, My Soul
Vicino a te Signore
I Believe in Christ
Climb Every Mountain
Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing
Battle Hymn of the Republic

I have one ward that likes to play various musical numbers during the sacrament and they get hit with claims every week, but like it says above, it's ok, as long as we're not trying to make money off of these productions.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:07 pm Just last Sunday, I got hits for the following songs:
Be Still, My Soul - Copyright by the Presbyterian Board of Christian Education
Vicino a te Signore - Not in hymn book
I Believe in Christ - Copyright 1985 IRS
Climb Every Mountain - Not in hymn book
Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing - Not in hymn book
Battle Hymn of the Republic- appears to be out of copyright. At least none is listed in the hymnal. This one is curious. Arrangements can by copyrighted and performances can be copyrighted, but a performances out of the hymnal shouldn't be an issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

jkarras

Post by jkarras »

When you look at the copyright notice you'll find it's often due to the content matching some performance someone uploaded to the ContentID database. So even though the music and words are public domain it's matching some other performances. You can submit a dispute and say as much and the company with the match has 30 days to respond. All of those I've done this to expire after the 30 days. I often do it just out of spite that the way the system works is there will always be a match to someone's copyrighted performance.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

Mikerowaved wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:07 pm Every week I get YouTube copyright notifications from some hymn or musical number performed. As was mentioned, these are the important parts of the YT message:
YouTube wrote:The Content ID claim on your video doesn't affect your channel. This is not a copyright strike.
Video cannot be monetized.
Just last Sunday, I got hits for the following songs:

Be Still, My Soul
Vicino a te Signore
I Believe in Christ
Climb Every Mountain
Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing
Battle Hymn of the Republic

I have one ward that likes to play various musical numbers during the sacrament and they get hit with claims every week, but like it says above, it's ok, as long as we're not trying to make money off of these productions.
No music should be played during the passing of the sacrament or immediately after. See General Handbook 18.9.3, paragraph 5, last sentence. Or did you mean they play music during the Zoom or YouTube broadcast? Even then, it may not be in the spirit of the handbook as members could be administering the sacrament at home during that time as well.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

No music should be played during the passing of the sacrament or immediately after. See General Handbook 18.9.3, paragraph 5, last sentence.
I assumed he meant that in addition to blacking out the virtual broadcast of sacrament meeting during the passing of the sacrament, they also played music for the virtual attendees during the blackout, to help preserve the spirit for those at home. My reading of the Handbook guidance is that it's specific to those receiving the sacrament (as it's the ordinance itself which is sacred), and not a paused or blacked-out transmission. And if somebody was also administering the sacrament at home during that time, they could (should) turn off the broadcast volume. Assumptions are awesome... ;)
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

garystroble wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:31 pm Or did you mean they play music during the Zoom or YouTube broadcast?
Of course. That's what we're discussing here.
garystroble wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:31 pmEven then, it may not be in the spirit of the handbook as members could be administering the sacrament at home during that time as well.
Our stake has withdrawn the invitation to administer the sacrament in our homes, except in cases that existed before Covid.
We're getting off track here.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

jkarras wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:23 pm When you look at the copyright notice you'll find it's often due to the content matching some performance someone uploaded to the ContentID database. So even though the music and words are public domain it's matching some other performances. You can submit a dispute and say as much and the company with the match has 30 days to respond. All of those I've done this to expire after the 30 days. I often do it just out of spite that the way the system works is there will always be a match to someone's copyrighted performance.
I don't understand the point of disputing it, since, A) it has no bearing on the status of your YT channel, and B) these videos are (or should) be deleted not long after being recorded anyway.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”