Church Webcasts using YouTube Live Streams

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Church Webcasts using YouTube Live Streams

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:55 am I don't understand the point of disputing it,
Nothing practical, but it's the principle of guilty by bot until proven otherwise. Left uncontested, it may expand until it does interrupt broadcasts.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jkarras

Post by jkarras »

Yea mostly on principle. Due to the 3d nature of copyright and the 2d nature of the bot, there isn't anything that may not be marked as copyright.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

Mikerowaved wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:48 am
garystroble wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:31 pm Or did you mean they play music during the Zoom or YouTube broadcast?
Of course. That's what we're discussing here.
garystroble wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:31 pmEven then, it may not be in the spirit of the handbook as members could be administering the sacrament at home during that time as well.
Our stake has withdrawn the invitation to administer the sacrament in our homes, except in cases that existed before Covid.
We're getting off track here.
My apologies, but there was no way for me or anyone reading what was posted to know the status of your individual stake. As far as what we are discussing here, it does have some merit, at least on a railroad siding, as there were absolutely no instructions when remote sacrament meetings were allowed during COVID that music could or should be played during the blacked out and silenced portion of the meeting when the sacrament was blessed and passed in person. Of course, I have no knowledge outside of my stake and area. :)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Thank you for your comments. Mikerowaved's post answered my question. Thanks.

I am new to YouTube, but liking it very much. I have never seen these copyright claims before, probably because I remove the sacrament meeting broadcasts each Sunday afternoon. These claims appeared because I left a funeral up for a few days for delayed viewing.

In spite of the examples given, these are not Church claims. In my case they came from SACEM, FILSCAP, APRA_CS, ECAD_CS, Polaris Hub AB, AMRA, LatinAutor, LatinAutorPerf, Anthem Entertainment (Publishing), and ICE_CS, and were probably automated. These are all companies that license music, many of them foreign. They claimed copyright based on the melody of the hymns played. One of them listed the hymn tune in Spanish.

I will just choose to ignore them as Mikerowaved suggested.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

If I set up a YouTube Live broadcast to auto start and to auto stop, if the encoder goes down during the meeting and the stream auto stops, will it start again if the encoder goes back online, or am I forced to set up a new stream?
donaldbrooksby

Post by donaldbrooksby »

lajackson wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:53 pm If I set up a YouTube Live broadcast to auto start and to auto stop, if the encoder goes down during the meeting and the stream auto stops, will it start again if the encoder goes back online, or am I forced to set up a new stream?
If you are using an encoder and you have a broadcast set up, I also prefer to choose the 1080 teradek pre settings when you get the stream ID and key, when I have had issues with the stream, I press "go live" on the teradek and it picks right up and nobody has to change or look for a new link. It works well.

I have found, as well, the key to a solid stream is to...
1) reboot your internet router / modem no closer than 2 hrs before you start your stream, and
2) make sure your Liahona SSID is shut down. Keep that bandwidth all for you.

Another frustration we had for years is using the teradek non-pro version. I got the pro version and all of that garbage we were fighting just went away. But the connection to YouTube connects and if you drop it is most likely the teradek dropping, YouTube picks it back up clean.

Last thing, auto start doesn't mean it starts the broadcast to everyone, you see it streaming so you can test stream strength and can make changes as you monitor it on YouTube, but you still have to press "GO live" (upper right of window) on your YouTube page in order for the congregation to see the stream.
jkarras

Post by jkarras »

lajackson wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:53 pm If I set up a YouTube Live broadcast to auto start and to auto stop, if the encoder goes down during the meeting and the stream auto stops, will it start again if the encoder goes back online, or am I forced to set up a new stream?
Auto start/stop will allow the stream to start automatically when the source starts sending data. It will also stop the stream automatically if the encoder stops sending data. The trouble is once a stream is stopped on YouTube it can't be restarted. When auto-stop is on if the stream drops for just a few seconds you should be fine. If it stops for a few minutes the stream will be stopped and a new link will have to be sent. Use with caution or only switch on once the meeting is towards the end.

I had one time when the encoder locked up middle of the meeting and ultimately killed the stream because I had auto-stop on. So now I leave auto stop off or don't turn it on until the last few minutes of the stream.

From a bandwidth perspective if your upload is decent (ours is ~15mbps) and your sending a 3-5mbps stream you should be fine. Especially if you leave the buffering setting on normal. If your video stream is not leaving headroom on the upload then yea doing what you can to cut back on other users makes sense. With overlapping schedules this isn't always possible.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

With auto-stop enabled, you have exactly 60 seconds to restart the stream. After that, a new stream will need to be created.

If it concerns you, there are ways to have a cellphone running Larix Broadcaster be on "standby" and if the main stream fails, you could enable Larix to take over with a static image telling viewers the webcast will resume shortly (or other such verbiage). This will extend the time indefinitely to get your main stream back online. I can give you more info on how to set this up.

The other way is to simply not use auto-stop and manually change the videos to "Unlisted" following the meeting until they've been reviewed for quality purposes (if desired) then deleted.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:43 pm With auto-stop enabled, you have exactly 60 seconds to restart the stream. After that, a new stream will need to be created.
The question is how long will it take you to find out something has happened?

I think the suggestion of leaving auto-stop off and switching to unlisted when it's over is a safer plan.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:33 am The question is how long will it take you to find out something has happened?
If you're quietly monitoring on a phone, the delay is 5-10 seconds, depending on the YouTube buffer setting.
russellhltn wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:33 amI think the suggestion of leaving auto-stop off and switching to unlisted when it's over is a safer plan.
That certainly is an option. It depends a lot on your ISP's uplink speed and reliability if you need to go that route. We've had zero problems with failed uploads going on 2 years using both OBS (hardwired) and Larix Broadcaster (WiFi), but that's with fiber connections to our buildings, so YMMV.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”