Church Webcasts using YouTube Live Streams

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Church Webcasts using YouTube Live Streams

Post by lajackson »

How do I get YouTube to recognize that I have an encoder? I went into the VidiU and linked it to the YouTube account. But YouTube still only gives me the webcam or the streaming software option.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

lajackson wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:15 pm How do I get YouTube to recognize that I have an encoder? I went into the VidiU and linked it to the YouTube account. But YouTube still only gives me the webcam or the streaming software option.
Rather than use the YouTube option in the VidiU, my preference is to just use Manual RTMP.

Create a new live event in YT.
In the Manual RTMP settings in the VidiU...
For the URL, enter: rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2/ (Or whatever URL YT gives you. This usually doesn't change.)
For the Stream, enter the Stream Key from YT, in the form: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
Done.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Mikerowaved wrote: Create a new live event in YT.
YT will not finish creating the event until it sees my streaming software. How do I get YT to see my VidiU? I have followed the other steps for the manual setup.
johnv

Post by johnv »

YT will not finish creating the event until it sees my streaming software. How do I get YT to see my VidiU? I have followed the other steps for the manual setup.
This is how I do it for youtube from a Mevo camera (essentially the same as a vidiU but with a built-in camera). I distribute our ward's youtube channel to everyone, so it doesn't matter what the video URL is each week, it changes, but the member just goes to the Channel URL and see's whatever the current broadcast is and clicks on it.

By doing this, there is no need to 'schedule' a broadcast in your Youtube Studio, just use the 'live streaming' option. Copy those settings into your vidiU RTMP settings and as soon as you 'go live' on your vidiU and start your broadcast, your Youtube Studio should reflect that and start your broadcast. I use a surface to do this each week. You could use a mobile device, laptop or other.

I thought about using the schedule option, but if something goes wrong and I need to change the URL I don't have to worry about it since we sent out the 'channel' URL instead.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

johnv wrote: By doing this, there is no need to 'schedule' a broadcast in your Youtube Studio, just use the 'live streaming' option.
I have also tried that unsuccessfully. Either way I do it I get the "Broadcast-Error: "Connection:Cannot resolve address []" error when I try to go live from the VidiU. I linked the VidiU with YT using the code (and Google confirmed that the VidiU had signed into the account). But something else is still amiss.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Hopefully, this series I've started will help.

viewtopic.php?p=227877#p227877
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Mikerowaved wrote: Hopefully, this series I've started will help.
Thank you so very much for doing this.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:53 pm Hopefully, this series I've started will help.
Looks good. I know where I'll be looking if this drops into my lap.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

BubbaBollinger

Post by BubbaBollinger »

BubbaBollinger wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:35 pm Also having this problem. Was able to successfully link the teradek (from the teradek) to our youtube account. I can, from the teradek, see and create events, but as soon as I try to broadcast, I get the error.

In terms of [] being blank, I don't see any place within the app (on iphone, connected via wifi to vidiu directly) to set anything, as the setup process simply asks me to go to google.com/device, enter the code the vidiu gives me, and then it's synced...

I also checked the filter and it says "managed" (not "moderate" or "strict").

Anyone that has it successfully working - please let us know what you did.
11/2-2021
Figured it out...YouTube changed their API, so you have to use RTMP and then use the YouTube stream API:
rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2 and then the Stream Key they give you for the event, then under the AGENT settings (on the VidiU under Platform>RTMP) I had to change it from FMLE to Teradek, input our gmail account credentials and then I was able to stream via YouTube.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

BubbaBollinger wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:46 am . . . then under the AGENT settings (on the VidiU under Platform>RTMP) I had to change it from FMLE to Teradek, input our gmail account credentials and then I was able to stream via YouTube.
I thought that entering the gmail account credentials would solve my problem, but it did not and I continued to get the same [] error.

However, never underestimate the power of a timely reboot. I was about to give up. I rebooted. The Teradek VidiU came up live and streaming to YouTube.

Our last Church webcast system meeting will take place this Sunday and then we will leave the system. The bishop wanted to be able to announce the new link over a Sunday for the benefit of the not too technically savvy. And I plan to use YouTube Live for our upcoming stake conference, as well.

This will have the added benefit of ending those pesky little reminder emails from mht that tried to be so helpful but were only aggravating the pain because my audiovisual rack was not wired they way they wanted it to be when it was installed in our new building several years ago. And I will be able to ignore the popup at the Webcast Portal that does not work for my installation either.

We will still part friends.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”