Church Webcasts using YouTube Live Streams

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
Jvb182

Re: Church Webcasts using YouTube Live Streams

Post by Jvb182 »

russellhltn wrote:
Jvb182 wrote:"Broadcast-Error: "Connection:Cannot resolve address []"
The [] makes me think the server address hasn't been set up.

You might check what the filter level on the firewall has been set to. If it's any higher than the minimum, it might be filtering it.
The firewall is on the lowest setting. What do you mean the server address hasn't been set up? Ahh...like it's not configured or setup to YouTube correctly?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Jvb182 wrote:What do you mean the server address hasn't been set up? Ahh...like it's not configured or setup to YouTube correctly?
I'm expecting to see the server's name in the "[]". And the fact there is no name indicates the problem. The name hasn't been entered into the VidiU. At least not in the place where it needs it to be.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Jvb182 wrote:...like it's not configured or setup to YouTube correctly?
Possibly. Did you enter your YouTube login credentials into the VidiU, or did you just get the RTMP info from your scheduled YouTube Live event? In either case, here are some instructions from Teradek that may be helpful:

https://support.teradek.com/hc/en-us/articles/217446427-VidiU-YouTube-Live-Setup
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnv

Post by johnv »

There has been a lot of confusion on this topic, at least in our area. I've been asked to help our ward out.

The week before our first Sunday's broadcast, I had setup a youtube channel to take care of the broadcast and all was working well in my tests. We were then told NOT to use a live streaming service like Youtube or Facebook Live so I switched to Zoom and it worked great for our first broadcast, except I had to diligently monitor the screen the whole time on my laptop prepared to shut off anyone's video if they joined with it on. You can then disable it for the rest of the meeting if they do turn it on, but you can't disable it until they turn it on (so weird for zoom to do it that way). So I much prefer the option to use youtube now that we are told it IS approved to use. You can auto-disable audio in Zoom once you start the broadcast, but you have to remember to do that after you start your video event, then chose the checkbox to auto-mute all for that event, but hopefully that's a mute point now that we can use youtube live.

Youtube works well, except in my case, I believe the church firewall is doing something to the stream as it will crash after about 10 minutes and then I have to start a whole new session with a new URL. Has anyone come up with a solution for that issue (or maybe I'm doing something wrong)? Are you sharing the link to the event or to your channel. I feel that sending viewers to the channel is better in case anything goes wrong with the direct link, they can still find any updated meeting broadcasts in the channel?? Thoughts??

Our STS is checking the filtering level that our building, but I still suspect it may be doing some filtering with youtube.com, otherwise the only other issue could be upstream bandwidth.

I can't recommend highly enough to use the building sound instead of a webcam or omni mic, audio is the most important aspect of a meeting, it doesn't matter how well your video is if you can't understand the speaker it will only frustrate the viewers. So make sure you have a sound feed going into your stream from the building sound system. In our case, we had to tap into the pulpit mike with an xlr splitter cable and run it into a mini mixer with USB to plug into the streaming laptop. I recommend you do a full walk-through and test it out with someone viewing your test streams for good audio and video, there's nothing worse than running into issues during the meeting!!

Good luck, and hopefully we can all learn a thing or two on here and share our experiences.

John
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

johnv wrote:You can auto-disable audio in Zoom ... but hopefully that's a mute point now that we can use youtube live.
Nice pun. :)
johnv wrote:I feel that sending viewers to the channel is better in case anything goes wrong with the direct link, they can still find any updated meeting broadcasts in the channel?? Thoughts??
I think if you send someone to the channel, the video has to be public for people to be able to find it – it can't be "unlisted." That may or may not be a concern.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

johnv wrote:Youtube works well, except in my case, I believe the church firewall is doing something to the stream as it will crash after about 10 minutes and then I have to start a whole new session with a new URL.
If you're getting through at all, then it's not a firewall issue. Are you streaming to YouTube using a Teradek VidiU, or some other means? Can you let us know your streaming settings, mostly video bitrate, and what your building's upload rate is? I'm hoping you're using a wired connection and not wireless for the uplink. Finally, is the WiFi still active in the building during your webcast?
BubbaBollinger

Post by BubbaBollinger »

Also having this problem. Was able to successfully link the teradek (from the teradek) to our youtube account. I can, from the teradek, see and create events, but as soon as I try to broadcast, I get the error.

In terms of [] being blank, I don't see any place within the app (on iphone, connected via wifi to vidiu directly) to set anything, as the setup process simply asks me to go to google.com/device, enter the code the vidiu gives me, and then it's synced...

I also checked the filter and it says "managed" (not "moderate" or "strict").

Anyone that has it successfully working - please let us know what you did.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

BubbaBollinger

Post by BubbaBollinger »

No. Tried that first before coming here.
mmkids6

Post by mmkids6 »

Can you use an iPad for YouTube live streaming or do you have to use a laptop?

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”