Church Webcasts using OBS

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
brad_p

Re: Church Webcasts using OBS

Post by brad_p »

Just passing along a few weeks of OBS experience:

While we use the tool in 7 wards, it has some small glitches that make it unsuitable for individuals who aren't familiar with technology. Specifically:

* If a USB camera somehow loses a connection (such as an unplugged cable), you have to restart OBS to get it to work again.
* We've had issues where a saved camera USB source doesn't pick up on a reboot, so we've had to recreate the camera source.
* We had an assistant accidentally prepend a space to a stream address or key, and that caused the connection to fail. OBS doesn't trim out spaces.

While these are minor, they do affect meetings. Additionally, assistants are making mistakes not plugging in cords tight and snug. Overall, we still like OBS because of its flexibility (for example, we can put text on screen letting users know if we are having audio trouble). But it's definitely not a foolproof solution.
jsorens6

Post by jsorens6 »

Has anyone else had trouble with the church camera not being recognized when plugging into a laptop?

I tried this OBS setup, but when I select the camera I only have my laptop webcam and the OBS virtual camera.

We have the camera going out into an HDMI converter and then I am plugging in the HDMI cable into my laptop. I've tried it on 2 different laptops and on OBS and Zoom, but it doesn't get recognized.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jsorens6 wrote: I am plugging in the HDMI cable into my laptop. I've tried it on 2 different laptops and on OBS and Zoom, but it doesn't get recognized.
Are you sure that's a HDMI input? All laptops I've seen have only HDMI outputs to feed external monitors.

You probably need a HDMI to USB adapter.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jsorens6

Post by jsorens6 »

russellhltn wrote:
jsorens6 wrote: I am plugging in the HDMI cable into my laptop. I've tried it on 2 different laptops and on OBS and Zoom, but it doesn't get recognized.
Are you sure that's a HDMI input? All laptops I've seen have only HDMI outputs to feed external monitors.

Ha! I am not sure. That's why I'm the last one that should be trying to figure this stuff out!

As always, thanks for the response and tip!
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

russellhltn wrote:

I have used this $12 HDMI to USB Capture Adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089RXBHWN/ to get camera's HDMI output into OBS.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

bradpeterson@gmail.com wrote:Just passing along a few weeks of OBS experience:

While we use the tool in 7 wards, it has some small glitches that make it unsuitable for individuals who aren't familiar with technology. Specifically:

* If a USB camera somehow loses a connection (such as an unplugged cable), you have to restart OBS to get it to work again.
* We've had issues where a saved camera USB source doesn't pick up on a reboot, so we've had to recreate the camera source.

* We had an assistant accidentally prepend a space to a stream address or key, and that caused the connection to fail. OBS doesn't trim out spaces.

While these are minor, they do affect meetings. Additionally, assistants are making mistakes not plugging in cords tight and snug. Overall, we still like OBS because of its flexibility (for example, we can put text on screen letting users know if we are having audio trouble). But it's definitely not a foolproof solution.

You do not have to restart OBS to get a camera (not just USB) working again. Just go to the Source/Settings screen for the camera and press the "Deactive/Activate" button twice. Note: In the latest version of OBS the button has been promoted on the main screen.
jsorens6

Post by jsorens6 »

CalS201 wrote:
russellhltn wrote:

I have used this $12 HDMI to USB Capture Adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089RXBHWN/ to get camera's HDMI output into OBS.
Thanks!
brad_p

Post by brad_p »

CalS201 wrote:I have used this $12 HDMI to USB Capture Adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089RXBHWN/ to get camera's HDMI output into OBS.
We use that same one in three buildings. They're great with one glitch. It introduces roughly a 125 ms delay between audio and video. This is easily fixable in OBS. In the Audio Mixer, click on the audio sources gear wheel, click on Advanced Audio Properties. In sync offset for your audio input, set it to 125 ms. Click Close.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

bradpeterson@gmail.com wrote:
CalS201 wrote:I have used this $12 HDMI to USB Capture Adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089RXBHWN/ to get camera's HDMI output into OBS.
We use that same one in three buildings. They're great with one glitch. It introduces roughly a 125 ms delay between audio and video. This is easily fixable in OBS. In the Audio Mixer, click on the audio sources gear wheel, click on Advanced Audio Properties. In sync offset for your audio input, set it to 125 ms. Click Close.
You have 3 bldgs and are using 3 HDMI output cameras ?! What make and model cameras are you using?

Have you tried using 2 or more of the HDMI to USB Capture Adapters on the same computer with OBS?

I have heard that audio to video delay over 200ms begins to be noticeable. Longer delays become annoying. What has been your experience? How did you determine your delay was about 125ms?
brad_p

Post by brad_p »

We're using the ones suggested by the church, Sony HDRCX405 Meetinghouse Webcast Camera. https://store.churchofjesuschrist.org/u ... ast-camera

I found 3 at my local Best Buy for cheaper, around $220 or so each. The great part about these is they have fantastic zoom, so if for any reason you ever need to set up a camera in the back, it can still work.

We use them with the HDMI to USB converter, and this tripod is great: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087D ... UTF8&psc=1
Have you tried using 2 or more of the HDMI to USB Capture Adapters on the same computer with OBS?
We're only doing 1 camera + adapter per building. The tripod lets us pan, tilt, and the camera lets us zoom.

But if you want a multi-camera setup, this should work. but I haven't tried it. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. I think the biggest issue is these adapters are a bit fat, so their plastic housing tends to overlap a nearby USB. You'd want something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0871 ... UTF8&psc=1\
I have heard that audio to video delay over 200ms begins to be noticeable. Longer delays become annoying. What has been your experience? How did you determine your delay was about 125ms?
I personally notice around 50 ms. 100 ms becomes distracting to me. I was able to determine the delay by broadcasting then clapping. I'd adjust, and try again. 125-150 seems to be the sweet spot to fix it.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”