Getting Audio right with Virtual Sacrament Meeetings

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
rademakerg

Re: Getting Audio right with Virtual Sacrament Meeetings

Post by rademakerg »

We are having audio troubles with the sound volume going up and down with not other changes. We are using the Larix app and proper adapter connections to the building sound system and I phone. Any thoughts on what the problem could be?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rademakerg wrote:We are having audio troubles with the sound volume going up and down with not other changes. We are using the Larix app and proper adapter connections to the building sound system and I phone. Any thoughts on what the problem could be?
I'd look at the 3.5mm connector(s). Phone jacks of all sizes are rather notorious for poor connections. You could try rapidly inserting/removing as well as rotating it to try and get a clean metal-on-metal connection. You could also try wiping the plug with course paper, such as a paper bag or paper towel

Just this past Sunday, my ward had a problem with music playback because of a 3.5mm connection on the MP3 player. It went from normal to soft to nothing in the space of a few seconds.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dotson98

Post by dotson98 »

russellhltn wrote:
craneps wrote:Why not try using a comtek or listen hearing device. Connected by 3.5 mm , male at both ends between it and your laptop?
There's a number of posts describing the failure or success with attempts at this.

If the computer input is a "headset" (TRRS plug), it won't work. Some receivers require a load to turn on that the computer will not provide. Some of those who have had success report the audio isn't as high quality as the direct connection. Others have been happy with the results.

For what it's worth, Comtek will sell you a cable that is similar (in looks) to the Headset Buddy cable that will allow you to use the wireless option. I've used that before. Audio isn't as good as a direct connection, as the highs and lows are clipped. But it works.
jacobstimpson

Post by jacobstimpson »

russellhltn wrote:
jacobstimpson wrote:So I "sort of" tested that... Meaning I did it and I heard the organ... but I assumed the sound was coming via the microphone in the chapel not a direct integration into the sound system.
In my buildings, I'm able to open the podium and get access to the plug for the podium mic. I'd disconnect it (with the sound system off) and run the organ test again.

Although, if you can hear the organ clearly, that does suggest there's a direct connection. It would be pretty soft if it was just the podium mic picking it up.

I tested it and when the mic is unplugged I get nothing in the priesthood/relief society rooms which have direct integration and I also had nothing in the zoom meeting I had running. However we do have the IR sensors that would "suggest" the system is capable of supporting integration... Does anyone know "what device/technology" is used to integrate? If I look closely around the organ should I expect to see something mounted? A cable leading to or from? Something in the audio rack that says "Organ Stuff don't touch" (because of course I would touch it) but I would only touch it to see if it had power and if there was a cable connected that looked like it went "somewhere" hopefully useful...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jacobstimpson wrote:I tested it and when the mic is unplugged I get nothing in the priesthood/relief society rooms which have direct integration and I also had nothing in the zoom meeting I had running.
Then it appears the organ is not integrated. I think only the most recent chapel in my stake has the organ connected to the sound system. Most of them probably don't have an extra output to feed the sound system. When our new stake organ arrived last year, it lacked that option.

I'd drop trying to do any modifications and settle for adding an auxiliary mic near the organ speaker.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dotson98

Post by dotson98 »

I read in these forums that is you turn “Original Audio” on in your Zoom meeting, it will turn the Zoom audio processing off a d might help pick up the organ and congregation singing.

We tried it yesterday, as we had a lot of musical numbers due to Christmas time. I didn’t get to hear it, but Zoom observers said that it sounded much better.

It’s possible that much better means that they can hear *something* rather than nothing or very little. So, that’s cool.

BTW we are using the record out jack for our audio, so whatever processing happens by the buildings system, that’s what we get.
dotson98

Post by dotson98 »

Update: Today I was running the Zoom meeting remotely, so I was able to hear the audio better. I didn't notice a huge difference between Original Audio On or Off. I did switch the audio to the laptop microphone, and it sounded much better. Except you could hear my helper singing off-key :). If I control for that, it might be a good option.
daveg123

Post by daveg123 »

lajackson wrote:
sbpope wrote:The only issue we have is the organ does not sound good. I know they are tied into the building's sound system, but I am not sure if they are routed to the record out.
The organ in older buildings is not tied into the building sound system at all. You are probably hearing the organ speakers through the pulpit microphone.

In newer buildings, the organ output is sent into the sound system only when the overflow curtains are open. If you are entirely in the chapel and the overflow is closed, the organ normally is not feeding the sound system.

Everything going through the building sound system should be going to the record out jack, including the organ when it is feeding the system, i.e., the overflow is open.
This last sentence is not true.

The organ feed (if the organ is attached to the sound system at all) is never fed to the audio output jack near the sacrament table/clerk's desk, regardless of any overflow doors that might be open in the building.

Unfortunately there is no simple way to get organ audio in most of our buildings.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

daveg123 wrote:
lajackson wrote:Everything going through the building sound system should be going to the record out jack, including the organ when it is feeding the system, i.e., the overflow is open.
This last sentence is not true.

The organ feed (if the organ is attached to the sound system at all) is never fed to the audio output jack near the sacrament table/clerk's desk, regardless of any overflow doors that might be open in the building.

Unfortunately there is no simple way to get organ audio in most of our buildings.
Well, I did say "should". This is interesting though, because would it not be technically difficult to put the organ sound into the system to get to the speakers and then take it out again on the way to the audio output jacks? That would require some clever wiring. I wonder why they would do that.

Still, I agree that it is difficult to get good organ audio out. Except at our stake center where it comes out fine.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Well, I did say "should". This is interesting though, because would it not be technically difficult to put the organ sound into the system to get to the speakers and then take it out again on the way to the audio output jacks? That would require some clever wiring. I wonder why they would do that.
Not clever wiring - a different output on a programmable mixer.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”