Getting Audio right with Virtual Sacrament Meeetings

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Getting Audio right with Virtual Sacrament Meeetings

Post by russellhltn »

Is this an active device or passive? What you're describing sounds like it has a noise gate.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bkharmon1

Post by bkharmon1 »

rknelson

Post by rknelson »

We use a bluetooth transmitter to avoid the hum. There are many models available on Amazon. This is the on we use (from China so some shipping time but it used to be on Amazon):
https://www.tinysineaudio.com/index.php ... uct_id=190

It requires a USB power supply (not included).

Bluetooth has the advantage of being totally isolated.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

That looks fine. But it seems like you have a noise gate in the system somewhere. Perhaps the hum is keeping it open.

I'd look at how audio is being processed on the laptop.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

The Ground Loop Noise Isolator you purchased from Amazon is composed of two cheap audio isolation transformers (one for left channel and one for right channel). It is designed to remove "60hz hum" typically caused by a ground loop - it will be only moderately effective. It does NOT cause your audio to cut in and out. The fact that you have a hum issue is all the reason you need to turn in a FIR work request to have a professional grade audio isolator installed. In the past, the FM group would install a RDL TX-1A https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Design-Lab ... B01D8QDFI6 to mitigate hum issues. They are also available used on ebay for a lot less.

There are several audio settings on your Windows laptop that WILL cause voice and music to cut in and out - all in an attempt to emphasize/clarify speech and minimize background noises. These setting are ON by default. You should TURN THEM ALL OFF. On the computer's SETTINGS / SYSTEM / SOUND / Input / Device Properties / AdditionalDeviceProperties / MicrophoneEnhancements screen you should make sure NoAudioEnhancements is ON, EchoCancellation is OFF, and NoiseReduction is OFF. These settings may be buried on a different menu on your laptop - just keep looking until you find them.

OBS has similar noise reduction settings - TURN THEM ALL OFF.

If you use ZOOM, make sure UseOriginalAudio is set to ON.
bkharmon1

Post by bkharmon1 »

Thanks so much! This is really helpful information and I will go back to the church tomorrow to test this out with these windows settings. I will also put in an FIR request. I was sondering if this hum was normal/common in all buildings or at leaset if the church had a plan to mitigate the issue if I did report it. This is so helpful and I really appreciate your detailed response!!!
CalS201 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:21 pm The Ground Loop Noise Isolator you purchased from Amazon is composed of two cheap audio isolation transformers (one for left channel and one for right channel). It is designed to remove "60hz hum" typically caused by a ground loop - it will be only moderately effective. It does NOT cause your audio to cut in and out. The fact that you have a hum issue is all the reason you need to turn in a FIR work request to have a professional grade audio isolator installed. In the past, the FM group would install a RDL TX-1A https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Design-Lab ... B01D8QDFI6 to mitigate hum issues. They are also available used on ebay for a lot less.

There are several audio settings on your Windows laptop that WILL cause voice and music to cut in and out - all in an attempt to emphasize/clarify speech and minimize background noises. These setting are ON by default. You should TURN THEM ALL OFF. On the computer's SETTINGS / SYSTEM / SOUND / Input / Device Properties / AdditionalDeviceProperties / MicrophoneEnhancements screen you should make sure NoAudioEnhancements is ON, EchoCancellation is OFF, and NoiseReduction is OFF. These settings may be buried on a different menu on your laptop - just keep looking until you find them.

OBS has similar noise reduction settings - TURN THEM ALL OFF.

If you use ZOOM, make sure UseOriginalAudio is set to ON.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

To try and show what is happening, I created this video: https://youtu.be/iC9164BM7ek of the different tests I have run.
It would be helpful to watch and listen to your audio but the youtube link doesn't seem to work.
bkharmon1

Post by bkharmon1 »

Geeze. I'm sorry. The correct link is here: https://youtu.be/PKTaovqiGX4
I tried to edit the original post to correct it for any future readers, but am no longer able to, probably because that post has been quoted on other postings.
As far as the vocals cutting out, I did find that my Dell laptop has software installed called "Dell Optimizer". I made sure this software was installed because this software will detect when a 3.5 mm cable is plugged in and allows me to select headset, headphone, Line In etc. This software also has an Auto Mute feature that was on by default. So tonight I will test this again with this setting disabled as well as the windows settings you mentioned.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

bkharmon1 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:23 am Geeze. I'm sorry. The correct link is here: https://youtu.be/PKTaovqiGX4
I tried to edit the original post to correct it for any future readers, but am no longer able to...
[Moderator note] You only have a fixed time to edit posts. I went ahead and updated your other post with the correct YT link.
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

I may have missed something but have you tried the testing with and without the AC power adapter connected to your laptop?

That's usually the quick temporary fix for these issues. Ground loop issues when AC adapter connected and then eliminated when the laptop is purely on battery power.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”