Getting Audio right with Virtual Sacrament Meeetings

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
bretbassett
Church Employee
Church Employee

Getting Audio right with Virtual Sacrament Meeetings

Post by bretbassett »

The attached document describes how to use church system audio to enhance the quality of your broadcasts.
Attachments
Audio Input - update 4.pdf
Update 4
(694.46 KiB) Downloaded 5003 times
drepouille

Re: Getting Audio right with Virtual Sacrament Meeetings

Post by drepouille »

I tried the Comtek ALS receiver last week, and the Lavalier system this week. No joy. I just can't get the signal strength correct for my laptop.
Next week, I will just run a 16-foot mini-mic cable from the podium mic boom directly into my laptop with no electronics or amplifiers between them.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bretbassett wrote:The attached document describes how to use church system audio to enhance the quality of your broadcasts.
A couple of comments:
- The phone needs to see a DC resistance of about 1000 ohms or higher. If it doesn't, it will ignore the microphone and will likely remain with the built-in mic. Presumably, the purchased adapters will take care of this. But it's important if you try to build your own.

- The output jack is transformer isolated and not referenced to ground. Consequently, ground loops with the output are unlikely. If you are using any of the chapel mic inputs (interactive) that's a different story. The loop will likely be between the mic input and the power for the device(s).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bretbassett
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bretbassett »

Excellent addition russellhltn. I'll share that with our team.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

As mentioned by Russellhltn - A resistance of 1-2Kohm is required across the external microphone input of a MACBook/iOS device (with a TRRS jack) before it will switch from the internal mic to the external mic jack. In addition, the aux/line level from the chapel's record output jack needs to be attenuated to microphone level to avoid overloading the mic input and causing distortion.

There is one product that performs both functions , "Headset Buddy Line-Level Audio Adapter" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OAW85ZG or https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HGFS3Z.

A long (6-100ft) TRS cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A6VYR5W will be needed from the record output jack to the HeadsetBuddy adapter & MacBook.

If you prefer a wireless connection, this product https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082BG2F7Q can replace the cable (you still need the HeadSetBuddy adapter). There are many other wireless solutions that will connect directly to a MAC/iOS device without the need for any adapter but most of them use bluetooth/2.4GHz and have limited range(30ft) and will not reach to the back of a chapel reliably.

Once you have the connections made, you will need to adjust the MACBook external mic input gain as described here https://www.switchingtomac.com/tutorial ... -on-a-mac/
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

CalS201 wrote:If you prefer a wireless connection,
I looked into the idea of a Bluetooth transmitter, but the inexpensive ones I looked at had reviews that indicated a delay long enough to cause lip sync issues. The more expensive ones might work, but it was above my price point for testing. Too bad. Assuming your computer/phone would take a Bluetooth connection, it looked like a possible plug and play solution.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Moderator note: The original file has been updated.

Also, additional discussion on interfacing with the meetinghouse can be found in Meetinghouse Audio as this is a topic that crosses areas.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Moderator note: The file has been updated to verson 3.

sunshinesdad

Post by sunshinesdad »

Thanks for the PDF document! I was wondering if the connection is similar if you are using a laptop? Would the in from the pulpit sound system go into the headphone jack or would it go through a USB?

Thanks,
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

The "Record Out" jack under the Sacrament table is a "Line Level" signal, and uses a 3.5 mm connector. You would need to verify that your laptop's audio jack can handle that. If not, then you would need to purchase the correct adapter.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”