Getting Audio right with Virtual Sacrament Meeetings

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
gknutti

Re: Getting Audio right with Virtual Sacrament Meeetings

Post by gknutti »

CalS201 wrote: There is one product that performs both functions , "Headset Buddy Line-Level Audio Adapter" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OAW85ZG or https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HGFS3Z.
Other suggestions since the splitter version is out of stock?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

gknutti wrote:Other suggestions since the splitter version is out of stock?
If you don't need the headphone out: https://www.amazon.com/Headset-Buddy-Li ... B00OAW85ZG

If you're using a laptop or other large device, I'd suggest the $8 USB adapter mentioned here.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
snihipali99

Post by snihipali99 »

CalS201 wrote:This forum post about the USB adapter and settings on the ControlPanel may be helpful to you.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=37779#p216128
Thanks for everyone's input. The computer is a Dell and there is a Dell audio setting that was set to increase any microphone input by 10db, so I was able to disable that and use the computer control panel sound setting.
sbpope

Post by sbpope »

Hello,
We are using the record out from the building system, and that is working great. The only issue we have is the organ does not sound good. I know they are tied into the building's sound system, but I am not sure if they are routed to the record out. What has worked for you?
Thanks!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbpope wrote:The only issue we have is the organ does not sound good. I know they are tied into the building's sound system, but I am not sure if they are routed to the record out.
The organ in older buildings is not tied into the building sound system at all. You are probably hearing the organ speakers through the pulpit microphone.

In newer buildings, the organ output is sent into the sound system only when the overflow curtains are open. If you are entirely in the chapel and the overflow is closed, the organ normally is not feeding the sound system.

Everything going through the building sound system should be going to the record out jack, including the organ when it is feeding the system, i.e., the overflow is open.
jacobstimpson

Post by jacobstimpson »

sbpope wrote:Hello,
We are using the record out from the building system, and that is working great. The only issue we have is the organ does not sound good. I know they are tied into the building's sound system, but I am not sure if they are routed to the record out. What has worked for you?
Thanks!
To get sound for the organ to sound better in our chapel (where we are using zoom) we found and did the following and had great success. https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articl ... inal-sound
jacobstimpson

Post by jacobstimpson »

lajackson wrote:
sbpope wrote:The only issue we have is the organ does not sound good. I know they are tied into the building's sound system, but I am not sure if they are routed to the record out.
The organ in older buildings is not tied into the building sound system at all. You are probably hearing the organ speakers through the pulpit microphone.

In newer buildings, the organ output is sent into the sound system only when the overflow curtains are open. If you are entirely in the chapel and the overflow is closed, the organ normally is not feeding the sound system.

Everything going through the building sound system should be going to the record out jack, including the organ when it is feeding the system, i.e., the overflow is open.

So in some building it is tied into the sound system? How would one go about determining if it is or is not? I attempted to look around behind doors that allowed me to see the Organ etc... and was hoping to see a really big label on a wire somewhere that said "ORGAN DIGITAL CONNECTION" and then something near the audio rack that said "ORGAN" but it doesn't appear to be that easy.. LOL....
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jacobstimpson wrote:How would one go about determining if it is or is not?
I'd think the easiest way is to open the overflow into the cultural hall, turn on the sound system and have someone play the organ. See if you can hear it over the speakers in the cultural hall. (Assuming there's no organ speakers in the cultural hall.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jacobstimpson

Post by jacobstimpson »

russellhltn wrote:
jacobstimpson wrote:How would one go about determining if it is or is not?
I'd think the easiest way is to open the overflow into the cultural hall, turn on the sound system and have someone play the organ. See if you can hear it over the speakers in the cultural hall. (Assuming there's no organ speakers in the cultural hall.)

So I "sort of" tested that... Meaning I did it and I heard the organ... but I assumed the sound was coming via the microphone in the chapel not a direct integration into the sound system.

Thoughts????
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jacobstimpson wrote:So I "sort of" tested that... Meaning I did it and I heard the organ... but I assumed the sound was coming via the microphone in the chapel not a direct integration into the sound system.
In my buildings, I'm able to open the podium and get access to the plug for the podium mic. I'd disconnect it (with the sound system off) and run the organ test again.

Although, if you can hear the organ clearly, that does suggest there's a direct connection. It would be pretty soft if it was just the podium mic picking it up.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”