Getting Audio right with Virtual Sacrament Meeetings

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
Wattsuk

Re: Getting Audio right with Virtual Sacrament Meeetings

Post by Wattsuk »

If you are using zoom then just check the box to use original audio when it comes to the hymns.
Uncheck the box when someone is speaking.

If you need to amplify the organ in someway then there are lots of options.
We found using a dynamic mic gives the correct amount of control. Just adjust the distance/mic level accordingly for the broadcast feed and it's a set it and forget it sort of thing.

This way doesn't affect anything for the in person service and doesn't need monitoring by an operator too.
rknelson

Post by rknelson »

failproof wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:59 pm My other two buildings have the Allen AP-22 and the Allen LD-34B model organs, which don't have the aux-out ports.
The Allen LD-34B we have does have a connection for audio out (XLR). It is inside the cabinet. Use something thin and flat and slide it under the top on the left toward the back to release the latch. Then the top swings up. With the top up you can release the back panel easily. Our organ came with short XLR microphone cable in the jack and all ready to connect to the sound system. I think this is a standard setup for the Allen LD-34B that FM orders.

This brief 19 minute video from a BYU professor on the Allen LD-34B is an excellent introduction (for organists, not about connecting to the sound system):
https://youtu.be/PKTaovqiGX4
RyanGard1977

Post by RyanGard1977 »

Just a FYI, that record out jack is not being included in new sound system upgrades so don't expect it to be around when and if your system ever gets upgraded. Many buildings were never equipped with it in the first place. You'll likely have other options when a new system is installed.
Ryan Gardner
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

RyanGard1977 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:13 pm Just a FYI, that record out jack is not being included in new sound system upgrades so don't expect it to be around when and if your system ever gets upgraded. Many buildings were never equipped with it in the first place. You'll likely have other options when a new system is installed.
What other options might be provided? Given that webcasting for shut-ins has become a permanent feature, I'd think some kind of accommodation would be part of the standard. FM doesn't always ask (or at least ask the right people) before going ahead with changes.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RyanGard1977

Post by RyanGard1977 »

I'll find out what the option is on these new QSC systems and post a reply. On some of the recent IVIE system upgrades they did, they left the record out or audio out jacks connected, but in other situations they removed the record out/tape in jacks. I'll find out.
Ryan Gardner
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

We receive audio just fine from the A/V rack which feeds a tiny "NUC" clone PC running OBS. If you mean up at the clerk table, I have no idea, since we never use that anymore with the new system.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
failproof

Post by failproof »

russellhltn wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:28 pm What other options might be provided? Given that webcasting for shut-ins has become a permanent feature, I'd think some kind of accommodation would be part of the standard. FM doesn't always ask (or at least ask the right people) before going ahead with changes.
When they did one of our buildings about a year before the covid pandemic hit, they put in RCA audio out and RCA audio in w/volume knob, ethernet, and an XLR input on the side of the pulpit. That building never had the 1/8" record out jack anywhere that I was aware of, unless it was completely hidden under the sacrament table. When they did our Stake Center during covid, right about the same time we started webcasting sacrament meetings, they just rerouted the 1/8" TS jack from the sacrament table to the side of the pulpit and did not add RCA audio out. But they also put multiple audio in/out options in the rack in our library, including HDMI out for webcasting, etc. Unfortunately we find we rarely use the stuff in the rack because all the wards prefer to do their webcasting from the chapel. It appears though, that they don't really have a single standard, and it probably depends on who they contract to do the work. They were, however, willing to work with us when we asked for a few things not planned for, so it seemed like they could pretty much do anything we needed within reason.
bkharmon1

Post by bkharmon1 »

I come here seeking some help. I have experimented since Covid on various streaming setups. We initially used the listener devices, and some wards are still using this. But as a Stake Clerk, I am getting complaints each conference that the audio isn't great. I keep going back to the drawing board trying to figure out what is wrong and how to correct it.But I am not an audiophile.

Our Stake Center is setup with a cieling mounted camera that runs a cable to the other end of the building where our Library AV closet is. (Needless to say, I got my steps in doing all of these tests) The audio is also accessed in this closet and has an RCA connection. (See video at :06) We run our streams from this location and use OBSstudio to cast to YouTube.

To try and show what is happening, I created this video: https://youtu.be/iC9164BM7ek of the different tests I have run. In my tests, it seems that using the RCA cable to the Ground Loop Noise Isolator to the laptop using Line In as the input works the best. However, you can see in the last chapter at 6:25, the mic cuts out if I'm not talking. This wouldn't be good if there was a piano solo. I also saw this happen at the very first test with the organ.

Right now, it seems to get good voice quality without the humming, I need to use the Ground Loop Noise Isolator. But musical performances will be a problem. I suppose I can split the audio and setup 2 different audio sources in OBS to switch between using the noise reducer and not using it, but the music will also suffer from the hum/buzzing that comes through without the Ground Loop Noise Isolator.

Do I have a ground issue? If you go to 1:48, you can hear th buzzing/humming that is being broadcast.

Thanks for any expertise you can provide.

0:00 - Setup
0:08 - First Test: RCA to Noise Reducer to Computer using Line In. Audio goes in and out if not speaking on mic. Buzzing at the end.
1:32 Test 2: Using the EJ-8 Crab box - Terrible
1:48 Test 3: Split Y RCA to Blue Headset Buddy. Computer set to receive audio as a headset
2:05 Test 4: Split Y RCA to Laptop selecting Line In
2:18 Test 5: Single RCA to Laptop selectin Line In
2:33 Test 6: Single RCA to Ground Loop Noise Isolator selecting Line in on Laptop
2:57 Test 7: Single RCA to Blue Headset Buddy to Laptop selecting Headset on the laptop
3:10 Test 8: Single RCA to Ground Loop Noise Isolator to Blue Headset Buddy to Laptop selecting Headset on Laptop
3:30 Test 9: Single RCA to Ground Loop Noise Isolator to Blue Headset Buddy to USB Sound Card Headset Port
3:52 Test 10: Single RCA to Ground Loop Noise Isolator to Laptop with Line In Selected
4:12 Same as Test 10. Showing that the audio is cutting out if not speaking in the mic. Ground Loop Noise Isolator is behaving like a noise cancellation device.
5:16 Test 11: RCA to Blue Headset Buddy to HDMI USB adapter
5:52 Test 12: Single RCA to HDMI USB Adapter
5:50 Test 13: Single RCA to Ground Loop Noise Isolator to HDMI USB Adapter
6:04 Test 14: Single RCA to Ground Loop Noise Isolator to HDMI USB Adapter with mic sensitivity dropped to 30%
6:25 Test 15: Single RCA to Ground Loop Noise Isolator to Laptop selecting Line-In. Audio seems to cut out playing piano if I don't talk.
Last edited by bkharmon1 on Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bkharmon1 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:38 pm Right now, it seems to get good voice quality without the humming, Ineed to use the noise reducer.
I'm guessing the hum is coming from a ground loop. I'd suggest looking for an isolation transformer so you can couple the audio to your laptop without the noise reducer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

bkharmon1

Post by bkharmon1 »

Thats exaclty what I am using when I refer to the noise reducer. I should have said I am using a Ground Loop Noise Isolator. The problem with using this is that audio, like the organ or piano drop off completely.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”