Church broadcasts using MEVO

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
bretbassett
Church Employee
Church Employee

Church broadcasts using MEVO

Post by bretbassett »

The attached articles describe how to use MEVO camera to broadcast Sacrament Meetings using any RTMP service (ChurchWebcast, YouTube Live, etc). I hope this is helpful to those who are looking at the MEVO system as a solution for broadcasting Sacrament Meetings.
Attachments
Mevo - Setting up Mevo transmitting to RTMP server.pdf
(379.59 KiB) Downloaded 1410 times
Mevo - Guidelines.pdf
(390.61 KiB) Downloaded 1043 times
sammythesm

Re: Church broadcasts using MEVO

Post by sammythesm »

I just wanted to +1 on using Mevo for easily broadcasting Sacrament meetings. It is a relatively inexpensive solution that's easy for a non-technical user to be trained to set up and turn on/off. The pinch to zoom is also really effectively done. We plan to charge ours between meetings so they don't even have to run a power cable to the camera.

Now if we could just get traffic prioritization settings for TM so we could give priority to the camera...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sammythesm wrote:We plan to charge ours between meetings so they don't even have to run a power cable to the camera.
If you run a network cable to the camera and use the adapter from Mevo, you can power it from the network. Also, with the network connection, you can turn off the WiFi. Although, unless the unit has it's on AP, that would make it hard to control.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
akrogers

Post by akrogers »

I used a Mevo camera to stream a funeral last week and it worked perfectly. Super easy. We setup a live stream through YouTube live. For Sunday I'm planning on streaming our meeting with it and on YouTube put the settings to not make the stream available when it was over and not enable DVR and also remember to mark auto start stream when it receives the signal. If you use YouTube, another thing you can do is put your channel id in the URL as follows: https://www.youtube.com/embed/live_stre ... RCHANNELID and that link should work every week for your meetings. You can find your channel id by going to studio.youtube.com and it's the number at the end of that URL after you are signed into your account. You will need to make the live stream public for that link to work each week, but I think it's a great solution to not having to send a new link to the members each week. I bought a cheap $17 ethernet to USB C adapter and plugged into our Ethernet and it worked great. Don't buy the $150 adapter Mevo has on their site. I've typed up detailed instructions for using a Mevo camera for this purpose if anyone would like it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

akrogers wrote:I bought a cheap $17 ethernet to USB C adapter and plugged into our Ethernet and it worked great. Don't buy the $150 adapter Mevo has on their site.
Can your $17 adapter power the Mevo via PoE? Unless you have a power plug handy, that seems like a useful feature.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bido101

Post by bido101 »

Mevo.com's support documentation reports that the only TRUE PoE adapter that is compatible with the Mevo Start is their own. Of which out stake got a Mevo Start + adapter for each building.

https://help.mevo.com/hc/en-us/articles ... t-Adapters

However, the same support page reports two adapters that can inject power into the USB-C (not over Ethernet).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXFHGM5
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PPGWQ15/
CarrTC

Post by CarrTC »

I just tested these two adapters along side the Mevo PoE adapter and they both worked just like the Mevo one when powered by the cable. The second one is my favorite because of it's small size.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PPGWQ15/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086SV2FK4/

The only reasons I can see for getting the Mevo adapter: You have PoE already available or you prefer the cleaner look with the extended cable going from the camera to the PoE adapter.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

CarrTC wrote:The only reasons I can see for getting the Mevo adapter: You have PoE already available
I'm confused. I thought you said it worked just like the Mevo one.

bido101

Post by bido101 »

Mevo's adapter has two modes...

* True PoE where power is delivered from a PoE injector, often a network switch that supports such. In this mode, only the Ethernet cable is connected as data and power go over it. From Mevo's documentation, only this adapter is supported for true PoE.

* USB-C power passthrough. In this mode, both Ethernet cable and USB-C power is plugged into the adapter. Data over Ethernet, power over USB-C. This mode is NOT exclusive to the Mevo adapter and there are several adapters on the market that are available.

@CarrTC is commenting on the 2nd mode.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Ah, got it. Many of the switches provided by the church have PoE and assuming you want to avoid WiFi, running a cable is necessary.

Depending on where the Mevo will be located, power may or may not be available. Depending on how it's handled, running power could create a fire hazard. (Such as running an extension cord under a piece of carpet to avoid a trip hazard.)

While cameras close or attached to the podium are functional, I think a more natural picture is obtained from about the second row were running power would be problematic.

But yes, it depends on the planned usage.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”