Wireless Access Point Serial Numbers

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Wireless Access Point Serial Numbers

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:I'd call again Monday during UT working hours. The day crew may have some additional tricks up their sleeves.
Great suggestion, and I did it. Alas, even the A-Team has no way to recover the serial numbers.

They did happen to mention that when they assist with a firewall swap they take a screen shot of the Access Point page so that they can add the wireless access points back in to the system. As I mentioned earlier, I wish I had thought of that myself. And there is not a "change the serial number" option. You just add the new firewall, set it up, and then ask the GSD to delete the old firewall.

The FM Group stepped right up and offered to gather the serial numbers from the attic. But I recruited an extraordinarily heroic and brave assistant to explore the jungle with me. We spent the afternoon in the attic and found the WAPs. That was a trick. They were well hidden. But find them we did, gathered the serial numbers, got them into TM and all is well again.

Although Liahona has returned, there is still an option to access Meraki Setup at each of the access points. Of course, neither I no anyone else has guessed the password to the Meraki cloud. I hope the Meraki registration option goes away now that the boxes are properly registered through the firewall. Perhaps in a day or two everything will settle down.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Although Liahona has returned, there is still an option to access Meraki Setup at each of the access points. Of course, neither I no anyone else has guessed the password to the Meraki cloud. I hope the Meraki registration option goes away now that the boxes are properly registered through the firewall. Perhaps in a day or two everything will settle down.
A power-off reboot of the whole thing may speed things up.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

russellhltn wrote:I'd call again Monday during UT working hours. The day crew may have some additional tricks up their sleeves.
That is what I did when I was not satisfied with the first answer I received concerning the Windows local user accounts disappearing from the login screen. The day shift answer was supremely better than the night shift answer.
lajackson wrote:They did happen to mention that when they assist with a firewall swap they take a screen shot of the Access Point page so that they can add the wireless access points back in to the system.
As soon as I read your first message on this subject, I immediately opened TM, and copied and pasted all my WAP serial numbers into an email to my STS. So now we both have that info.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:I do not believe any of our FHC printers have static IP addresses.
That's unusual for two reasons. First, assuming these printers are on the network and not attached via USB, how do the computers find the printers if their IPs keep changing?

Second, the Family History Department wants to monitor the printer they sent so as to send supplies when it runs low. To do that, the printer has to be at a fixed 10.x.x.x IP that's registered with them.

It's possible that the static IP is programmed into the printer instead of the firewall. But that still would create problems if the IP range changed because the firewall was "added" instead of "replaced".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:
lajackson wrote:I do not believe any of our FHC printers have static IP addresses.
That's unusual for two reasons.
I suppose i need to look into it. I know the IP addresses were not reserved in TM.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”