Less Expensive POE Solution for Mevo

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
mevans

Less Expensive POE Solution for Mevo

Post by mevans »

If you're using a Mevo and have POE in your buildings (some of ours do), you can get the Mevo POE adapter for $149:
https://mevo.com/collections/accessorie ... er-adapter

Adapter 1: https://www.amazon.com/DSLRKIT-Splitter ... ref=sr_1_3
Adapter 2: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B7P2JY5/re ... pldnSite=1

Adapter 1 takes an ethernet line with POE and splits out the power into a USB C connector.
Adapter 2 combines power from a USB C and ethernet into a USB C connector that connects to the Mevo.

I'm grateful for the person who in another post pointed out what I have identified as Adapter 2 above. That got me searching for what I identified as Adapter 1 above. Put the two together and you can get POE power to a Mevo for around $50.

POE Switch —> Ethernet —> Adapter 1 —> Adapter 2 —> Mevo

Here's a picture of what it looks like when put together. It's not a nice looking as the Mevo adapter, but it's also $100 less expensive.
Mevo.jpg
(187.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Wattsuk

Re: Less Expensive POE Solution for Mevo

Post by Wattsuk »

Thank you!
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

I've got the adapters but it doesn't function as I expected.

I've tried various combinations of connecting everything together before powering the mevo on or powering it on and then connecting everything together.

I even tried the mevo usb settings of the mevo powering the adapter or not powering the adapter. Nothing seems to make a difference.

Any tips?
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

I can’t find any combination with several adapters (including #2 above) or usb settings to get power and Ethernet to work together. Very frustrating.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

barkeraj wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:01 pm I can’t find any combination with several adapters (including #2 above) or usb settings to get power and Ethernet to work together. Very frustrating.
Not even the Mevo adapter? It might be time to look at the power source as well as the cable. Perhaps some lines are open that's not affecting Ethernet, but disrupts PoE.

Apparently, there's also multiple standards of PoE with a wide range of power levels.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

russellhltn wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:34 pm
Not even the Mevo adapter?
Well, as the title suggests this is trying to find a solution that isn’t the $150 expensive adapter. I’m not even trying to do POE. Just Ethernet and usb c into an adapter to have power and not-wifi at the same time.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

barkeraj wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:05 pm Well, as the title suggests this is trying to find a solution that isn’t the $150 expensive adapter. That would be nice, but if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.
barkeraj wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:05 pm I’m not even trying to do POE. Just Ethernet and usb c into an adapter to have power and not-wifi at the same time.
That simplifies things - maybe. Any idea what "mode" the Mevo and power adapter is trying to do? Some modes require that the power adapter converse with the device to determine what power to supply. I think I'd try a different power adapter. Perhaps one with a USB connection and using a USB A to USB C cable.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

I did eventually get the 2 adapters and some success but it was not consistent and reliable. It was very particular about the order that you connected and powered things up. Even then, sometimes it would not operate and I'd end up with either just Ethernet or just power.

Ultimately we went for the Mevo own adapter and it has been flawless. Works perfectly everytime.
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

Just reporting back that I found that Mevo listed a few other power/ethernet adapters on a page I found in their help docs. We went with the Anker USB C Hub Adapter ($60) and it has worked well for us.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”