RecordOut Jack to MEVO Camera is EASY

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
CalS201

RecordOut Jack to MEVO Camera is EASY

Post by CalS201 »

The MEVO camera can be connected directly to the chapel's RecordOut jack with just an $2 adapter and $10 cable. Audio will be the best possible.

The attached PDF shows the hookup and includes a partslist.
Attachments
RecordOut Jack to MEVO Camera.pdf
(582.67 KiB) Downloaded 620 times
MassagliaJA

Re: RecordOut Jack to MEVO Camera is EASY

Post by MassagliaJA »

Our chapel does not have a RecordOut jack. It's an old building. I had an issue because I was connecting a wireless mic system to the Mevo via similar cables listed in the PDF but the Mevo defaulted to Line Level when it saw a TRS plug. I had to manually change it to Mic Level and then we could hear audio.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

MassagliaJA wrote:Our chapel does not have a RecordOut jack. It's an old building. I had an issue because I was connecting a wireless mic system to the Mevo via similar cables listed in the PDF but the Mevo defaulted to Line Level when it saw a TRS plug. I had to manually change it to Mic Level and then we could hear audio.
It might help others if you mentioned the make and model of the wireless mic system you are using?

The MOVO WMX-20 wireless system listed here viewtopic.php?f=27&t=37779 can adjust it's output from mic level all the way up to line-level.
MassagliaJA

Post by MassagliaJA »

CalS201 wrote:
MassagliaJA wrote:Our chapel does not have a RecordOut jack. It's an old building. I had an issue because I was connecting a wireless mic system to the Mevo via similar cables listed in the PDF but the Mevo defaulted to Line Level when it saw a TRS plug. I had to manually change it to Mic Level and then we could hear audio.
It might help others if you mentioned the make and model of the wireless mic system you are using?

The MOVO WMX-20 wireless system listed here viewtopic.php?f=27&t=37779 can adjust it's output from mic level all the way up to line-level.
Thanks, that's a good idea. Our wireless mic system is the Audio Technica R2100AD. Ours has a receiver that has XLR or 1/4 inch jack out and a single lavaliere transmitter. I found the manual online and I saw an attenuation switch which could switch between attenuation of 0 dB or -12 dB with a default of 0 dB, but I didn't see a way to switch from mic level to line level.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

MassagliaJA wrote:Thanks, that's a good idea. Our wireless mic system is the Audio Technica R2100AD. Ours has a receiver that has XLR or 1/4 inch jack out and a single lavaliere transmitter. I found the manual online and I saw an attenuation switch which could switch between attenuation of 0 dB or -12 dB with a default of 0 dB, but I didn't see a way to switch from mic level to line level.
Referring to the manual it states the receiver's XLR output is balanced MIC level and the 1/4" TRS is unbalanced LINE level. The 0/-12db switch affects both outputs. Finally, the AF LEVEL adjustment control, also on the back of the receiver, affects both outputs.

Following the adjustment procedure in the manual(pg7,8) you can maximize the dynamic range and fidelity of the audio using MIC or LINE level output.
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

I thought the same when we first got the mevo but we did find a workaround. Remove the tamper proof screws to get access to the rear of the amplifier rack which has a line out in 2 places on the rack. We took the line out from the main amplifier so if the volume is adjusted for a speaker in the building, it also adjusts the level for the mevo. The other line out is part of the mixer/equalizer which does not change with the master volume control.

We've taken a 3 foot twin RCA cable from the rear of the amplifier to the front of the cabinet and then from there we have the long RCA to 1/4" TRS input on the mevo.

Would be nice if we had an accessible jack socket like many newer buildings but we've achieved the same end result, just not as quick or as neat.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

richarddanielwatts wrote:Remove the tamper proof screws to get access to the rear of the amplifier rack which has a line out in 2 places on the rack.
I would be extremely cautious about going into the rack. The church has a contract with a vendor for service. Tampering with the system could result in FM getting billed for any repairs. In my case, that would include airfare and hotel for the tech to come from Utah.

Even if the alternations didn't appear to cause problems, it may trigger repercussions. I'd strongly suggest talking with FM to get the jack added. Get the stake president involved if necessary.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

I've requested it. It may or may not come in the future but I did submit pictures to FM of what I have done and they had no issues with it in my case.

I do have some professional experience with electronics and audio engineering so knew how to safely identify and test the available sockets.

I get the feeling that area FM may get a standardised broadcasting system in due course so they seem reluctant to implement anything right now that may need to be undone in the near future when decisions are made on a more long term strategy.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

richarddanielwatts wrote:I get the feeling that area FM may get a standardised broadcasting system in due course so they seem reluctant to implement anything right now that may need to be undone in the near future when decisions are made on a more long term strategy.
With the recent changes to the General Handbook, I do expect a standardized system to be developed. But I have yet to hear what it might be. I do know the MEVO was one they were using pre-shutdown.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

That would be great if they could run a POE ethernet and 1/4" line audio to a wall mounted mevo.

Would be very unobtrusive and simple to operate.

Also a relatively inexpensive solution considering the quality.

I was skeptical about the little device but the last few months have turned me into a big fan.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”