Organ Audio Out

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
mstadler

Re: Organ Audio Out

Post by mstadler »

Mikerowaved wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:43 pm
mstadler wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:53 am...previous stake conferences it has been complained the the remote chapels and homes we are broadcasting to get the organ audio choppy.

This is a very common complaint when using Zoom Meeting or Zoom Webinar. The feedback I got was it sounded like music-on-hold over a poor cellphone connection. The only solution I found was to move away from Zoom. For stake conference, I would highly recommend using the church's Meetinghouse Webcast system. IMO, it's far superior to Zoom, especially when it comes to audio quality. For weekly meetings, our stake moved to YouTube Live, which completely solved the poor music quality issue we were having with Zoom.
I've used youtube for multiple stake conferences and the organ does not sound good, the "webcast" output from the chapel audio system just does not pick it up, in my experience.
mstadler

Post by mstadler »

To Close the loop on this.
Yes you can get perfect audio from the organ through the Aux jacks.

I used this product:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1
and this product:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
Which was connected to an ipad, which connected the Audio to Zoom, and utilized "original audio"
JWJarvis88

Post by JWJarvis88 »

As an alternate solution with no cost, take a look at your sound settings inside the actual Zoom client. By default it is set to automatically adjust the volume. While you cannot completely turn this off, you can set it to as minimal as possible. This will make all the difference.

To illustrate the difference that this makes, I will use the example of what used to happen in my ward each Sunday:
When the organ is playing, it dials the volume back. Once it stops and someone starts speaking, then you could not hear them until it readjusted. (Now it does not adjust at all to my knowledge.)

The only other thing that I did for sound quality was to locate the auxiliary output for the PA system in our building. In this case it was located underneath the Sacrament table and which fed through a tape recorder and back into the system. I used that to pull the audio straight from the PA system to the laptop we use. It is a mono output so I use a 3mm mono-to-3mm stereo adapter and a 3mm stereo cable to bring it into the laptop. This gives a balanced audio signal for both channels in Zoom. (The reverse does not work passively.) Then I just select line in for the microphone in Zoom. Do note that using this approach requires going back into the Zoom client sound settings and adjusting the volume levels up to where you would like it. (Prior to this we had been using a lapel mic attached to the pulpit mic and the organ was too much for it.

I have found that the PA pulpit microphones do a fairly good job of handling the organ. There are better solutions but they can get expensive very quickly.

I hope this of help.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”