Organ Audio Out

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
alicequan

Re: Organ Audio Out

Post by alicequan »

It's an Allen Protege.
rknelson

Post by rknelson »

Many newer organs have an XLR output connection. Our organ was installed last year (Allen LD-34b) and the connection is behind the back panel. To access it you have to lift the top (which requires releasing a catch by sliding something thin on the left side to release), then turn the latches to open the back panel. The connector is near the bottom in center. Some newer sound systems also are wired with a connection to the sound system, but the mixers only feed organ sound to the overflow and cultural hall. Our sound system has an Organ Out feed on the sound rack that can be run to an external mixer. I know of at least one older (5 years older?) Allen model that also had the XLR output.
mstadler

Post by mstadler »

Found these output jacks on Our Stake Center, organ.
(Pictures attached) it is under they keyboard above the pedals.

I’m not an audio expert, but I’m going to try a cable that goes from R/L 1/4” to a single 1/4”

If anyone has any suggestions on cables or which connection to use that would be great!
Attachments
87D82914-8E70-44A8-8C5E-40A9B38AC3DF.jpeg
(3.13 MiB) Not downloaded yet
AC33A324-D411-4BD7-B9B9-38857E7BBA78.jpeg
(3.36 MiB) Not downloaded yet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mstadler wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:05 am I’m not an audio expert, but I’m going to try a cable that goes from R/L 1/4” to a single 1/4”

If anyone has any suggestions on cables or which connection to use that would be great!
You can try that, but it may mono out the sound coming from the organ speakers. If it does, then you'll need to find a way to mix it down.

Odds are, if you use "Phones", you'll get no sound at all from the speakers.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:11 am Page 35 of the manual tells all... ;)

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/bc/ ... Manual.pdf
A good resource, but it doesn't explain what might happen if you were to put a "Y" cable on the aux out. They don't always have a buffer amp to prevent the connection from doing things to the organ.

It also doesn't say if this is "consumer level" (-10dBv) or "professional" level (+4/+8dBv) output. (Picky, aren't I?)

I did notice in the specs there's an XLR output. If not being used, that might be preferable (but more likely to be pro level). But you'd probably have to open the back to find it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

We have the same model of organ as depicted in the photos above. It indeed has an XLR output and it is only accessible after taking the back off. Which before it was officially commissioned I experimented with.
mstadler

Post by mstadler »

As an update....

I purchased
https://www.amazon.com/Inch-Mono-Female ... B00RYAB8WS
which takes both output jacks and combines them to a single 1/4" plug.

I then connected this to the crabbox EJ-8, which connected to the chapel sound system.
The reason for this setup is that previous stake conferences it has been complained the the remote chapels and homes we are broadcasting to get the organ audio choppy. This I assume is due to the sound processer noise cancelling so that the organ does not amplify the organ that is already going into the chapel...

After connecting the organ to the chapel sound system, it did come across louder on zoom, but also made it louder in the chapel, which I believe will be a bad thing. I didn't have an experienced organ player with me, nor a full chapel to see if that would really cause issues, but I think it would.

My new plan is to have this adapter connected to an ipad, and use as a secondary camera, and switch the Zoom webinar to it when the organist plays.... the viewers will just see that iPad video and the audio from the organ (which is directly connected to the ipad) I haven't tested it yet, but think it will work.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

mstadler wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:53 am...previous stake conferences it has been complained the the remote chapels and homes we are broadcasting to get the organ audio choppy.

This is a very common complaint when using Zoom Meeting or Zoom Webinar. The feedback I got was it sounded like music-on-hold over a poor cellphone connection. The only solution I found was to move away from Zoom. For stake conference, I would highly recommend using the church's Meetinghouse Webcast system. IMO, it's far superior to Zoom, especially when it comes to audio quality. For weekly meetings, our stake moved to YouTube Live, which completely solved the poor music quality issue we were having with Zoom.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:43 pm This is a very common complaint when using Zoom Meeting or Zoom Webinar.
There's some settings that might make a difference. I haven't played with those at all.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”