Organ Audio Out

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
EarloftheWest

Organ Audio Out

Post by EarloftheWest »

I noticed that our organ has a host of audio out jacks.
We've been broadcasting Sacrament Meeting via Zoom and just using the podium microphone.
I'd like to plug the Organ into one of our audio inputs on our Laptop for better sound quality.
Can anyone point me in the right direction for instructions on the best way to hook the organ up to a mic input?
Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Organ Audio Out

Post by russellhltn »

That's going to depend on the organ. Our new organ has no ins or outs. Our prior organ had a headphone out, but it would shut off the speakers if used.

You're either going to have to plug the organ into the house system so all the sound is in the record out, or you're going to have to set up a mixer. The laptop probably doesn't have what it needs to be a mixer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
alicequan

Post by alicequan »

Hi All!

I have a similar question. I did purchase a mixer for our Zoom and YouTube broadcasts. We have the speaker's mic, and then other directional mics for various instruments, when they play. But the organ is still an issue with the sound. It just sounds like a big elephant over broadcast.

I threw a mic up to one of the speakers this morning and discovered that only the SWELL comes out of that speaker and ended up playing only on the SWELL keyboard (which sounded really off), plus the mic picked up a lot more ambient sound (we had a lot of babies crying and it really picked that up!). When I played on the GREAT keyboard, it overwhelmed everything, so I think I need to put a mic up to the right speakers, as well. If there is an audio out from the organ that I can connect to the mixer, that would solve me having to climb up on a ladder every Sunday to position the mics and connect all the mic cords. It would also make the organ output sound so much better, without picking up the ambient noises.

I don't have our organ's model number, but I looked all around the organ and opened up the inside (which is a jumble of electronics) and did not see any audio out jacks, except for the ones that come out and go into the floor somewhere.

So to summarize:
1) Do the recent organs have audio out jacks that we can connect to a mixer for broadcast?
2) If not, how do we plug the organ into the house system?
3) If one and two are non-existent or too difficult, does anyone have a good experience mic-ing the organ?

Thank you so much!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

alicequan wrote:1) Do the recent organs have audio out jacks that we can connect to a mixer for broadcast?
2) If not, how do we plug the organ into the house system?
Too much variability to advise on that. Even if it was there, I don't advise messing with the sound system. If anything goes wrong, FM will be coming after you. I'd suggest contacting FM about what you need and see what they can or are willing to do. However, it may take some time.

alicequan wrote:3) If one and two are non-existent or too difficult, does anyone have a good experience mic-ing the organ?
I know one ward in my stake center just uses a cell phone at the pulpit. But we have a decidedly non-standard layout.

The microphone used will be everything. I've seen people enamored with "omnidirectional" microphones, but you need some kind directionality to pick up the sounds you want and to reject the sounds you don't.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
alicequan

Post by alicequan »

@russellhltn: Thank you for replying! I’ll try throwing another mic up next week to see how it sounds. But maybe I should just give up on the organ and switch to just piano, instead.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Something you might check is under the keyboard and above the pedals to see what connections are hidden there. You might have a headphone out, but it will likely cut off the speakers.

alicequan

Post by alicequan »

I will definitely check under the keyboard for an output. Thank you!
clarktellart

Post by clarktellart »

I opened up the back of our organ and found RCA out plugs. It took a bit of looking but they were there. I plugged in a cable, attached it to our mixer And it works fantastically for YouTube.
alicequan

Post by alicequan »

clarktellart wrote:I opened up the back of our organ and found RCA out plugs. It took a bit of looking but they were there. I plugged in a cable, attached it to our mixer And it works fantastically for YouTube.
Can you describe where those audio jacks are? Or take a photo please? We’ve been throwing two mics up towards the speakers, and the sound has improved a whole lot, but it would sound better if we could directly plug in the organ to the mic. Thanks!
stevenbiringer

Post by stevenbiringer »

alicequan wrote:
clarktellart wrote:I opened up the back of our organ and found RCA out plugs. It took a bit of looking but they were there. I plugged in a cable, attached it to our mixer And it works fantastically for YouTube.
Can you describe where those audio jacks are? Or take a photo please? We’ve been throwing two mics up towards the speakers, and the sound has improved a whole lot, but it would sound better if we could directly plug in the organ to the mic. Thanks!
What model of organ do you have? Thanks!

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”