Satellite dish removal

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
ulupoi

Satellite dish removal

Post by ulupoi »

People will probably have questions about the coming removal of the satellite system in N. America. Here are mine:

Our stake currently views satellite broadcasts in four languages. Everyone sits together, and they get audio for non-English languages via headsets. Now, the satellite dishes are being removed. Does anyone have reliable information on the following?

1. Will the new system include some way to broadcast multiple language streams together with the video stream?

2. If the answer to question 1 is "no," should we just stream the different languages separately? We could use the English video stream and stream the other languages audio-only to save bandwidth. However, would the multiple streams be synced? Would we be better off streaming different languages in different locations?

3. What kind of streaming devices will be provided to the buildings that need them? Roku?

4. What is the recommended bandwidth for watching conference broadcasts?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Satellite dish removal

Post by russellhltn »

Unless some information changed since I had a discussion with the powers that be:
ulupoi wrote:1. Will the new system include some way to broadcast multiple language streams together with the video stream?
No.
ulupoi wrote:However, would the multiple streams be synced?
The same way you'd sync two VCRs or DVD players - press pause on the one ahead until the other catches up.
ulupoi wrote:Would we be better off streaming different languages in different locations?
Until more experience is gained with separate streams - probably.
ulupoi wrote:3. What kind of streaming devices will be provided to the buildings that need them? Roku?
Undetermined. But there's a good chance it will be a Android TV device that can run the Meetinghouse Webcast app.
ulupoi wrote:4. What is the recommended bandwidth for watching conference broadcasts?
A link was provided in the email to guide you through the steps in determining what you needed. (Number of languages, rooms, etc.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ClawsonDL

Post by ClawsonDL »

russellhltn wrote:Unless some information changed since I had a discussion with the powers that be:
ulupoi wrote:1. Will the new system include some way to broadcast multiple language streams together with the video stream?
No.
ulupoi wrote:However, would the multiple streams be synced?
The same way you'd sync two VCRs or DVD players - press pause on the one ahead until the other catches up.
ulupoi wrote:Would we be better off streaming different languages in different locations?
Until more experience is gained with separate streams - probably.
ulupoi wrote:3. What kind of streaming devices will be provided to the buildings that need them? Roku?
Undetermined. But there's a good chance it will be a Android TV device that can run the Meetinghouse Webcast app.
ulupoi wrote:4. What is the recommended bandwidth for watching conference broadcasts?
A link was provided in the email to guide you through the steps in determining what you needed. (Number of languages, rooms, etc.)
There are some exceptions where satellite reception will be continue to be used. Your situation would certainly be considered. Did you complete the survey yet? And, would you provide me with the property number or the unit ID for ward that meets in this building? Thanks
bartj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bartj »

Great questions. If the information provided in the evaluation guide is insufficient, please complete the "Request for Assistance" form. Someone from the team will reach out to work through your specific needs. As mentioned by ClawsonDL, some locations may be granted approval to continue with Ku-band satellite services. That said the intent is to remove as many systems as possible.

Streaming multiple languages in different rooms is definitely easier but may not be preferred by the stake president. The first step in this process for any stake should be to understand ongoing needs and requirements the stake president has and then follow the evaluation guide provided. Synching two languages isn't too difficult, but synching more can become challenging. The evaluation guide does direct anyone with 3+ languages delivered to a single room to request assistance.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

bartj wrote:some locations may be granted approval to continue with Ku-band satellite services. That said the intent is to remove as many systems as possible.
Thank you for your reply. I think that I am not understanding the situation. If our satellite dishes are being removed because the satellite spectrum used by the Church in the US and Canada is being reallocated, how is anyone able to continue to use satellite service?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ulupoi wrote:Thank you for your reply. I think that I am not understanding the situation. If our satellite dishes are being removed because the satellite spectrum used by the Church in the US and Canada is being reallocated, how is anyone able to continue to use satellite service?
The current satellite system is C-band. Bart mentioned Ku band, which would require professional installers to come out and mount a new dish. But given that most units have good internet access, that would be an unnecessary expense.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

If we have a newer building with a smaller dish, are we running Ku-band already?
And if so, can we keep it?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:If we have a newer building with a smaller dish, are we running Ku-band already?
Probably.

lajackson wrote:And if so, can we keep it?
Good question

drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I have a nagging suspicion that our huge satellite dish will remain in place for several years after we have lost the ability to use it for anything. Oh well. Not my problem.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
superdave98

Post by superdave98 »

Even after reading the email and contacting our FM contact, I'm still confused. Maybe I'm just being dense. ;-) Is it saying that our existing satellite receivers might be capable of being connected to the network and function as streaming media receivers? Or are we going to need to request streaming media devices to replace all of our satellite receivers?

Thanks!
Dave

Return to “Satellite”