2FA for SMS (only) without removing phone number from Church account

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
dpabst

2FA for SMS (only) without removing phone number from Church account

Post by dpabst »

I have Two-Step Verification enabled on my Church account. I've enabled both Google Authenticator and the security key options. What puzzles me is that I cannot remove SMS as a 2FA method without removing my phone number from my account. Naturally, I'd still like to be able to be contacted on my phone number via a call or text. I do realize and appreciate that it won't send me a text if it's not the default method. On the other hand, SMS is known to be less secure than other methods of two-factor authentication, so I'd like to have the option to remove it from the dropdown.
eblood66

Re: 2FA for SMS (only) without removing phone number from Church account

Post by eblood66 »

I believe that the phone number on the Church account and the phone number on your membership record are two different things. The phone number on the Church Account is only used for account recovery and 2FA. The phone number on your membership record is what shows up on the church directory. The same is not true of the email address (those are connected). So you should be able to remove it from your Church Account and it should stay in the directory (assuming it shows up there already).
dpabst

Re: 2FA for SMS (only) without removing phone number from Church account

Post by dpabst »

eblood66 wrote:I believe that the phone number on the Church account and the phone number on your membership record are two different things. The phone number on the Church Account is only used for account recovery and 2FA. The phone number on your membership record is what shows up on the church directory. The same is not true of the email address (those are connected). So you should be able to remove it from your Church Account and it should stay in the directory (assuming it shows up there already).
Perfect. Thanks!

Return to “Church Account”